This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia UT800 Headlight Problem

Just got the UT800 and paired it to my Edge1000. I took it for a 25km test ride and have experienced 6 disconnections from the Edge. It re-connected 3 times a minute or two later but it failed the other times. What is disconcerting is that the light remained off during the failed re-connections. I had to power it back on to re-connect to the Edge.

Anyone else?. This never happened with the HL500.

Edge firmware at 14.10 & UT800 firmware at 2.10. Also connected at the time was: Garmin RTL500, Wahoo Tickr, Stages power meter & Garmin speed sensor. Bluetooth off.
  • Please see the sticky post located here for an update on this issue. We will post an updated once we have a software release to address this issue.
  • Well, I've decided this light is a real POS, and it reinforces my theory that Garmin releases hardware to get revenue, and then spends the next year or two working on the software towards a production release,.

On every single ride I've done with this light, it fails after anywhere from 30-90 minutes. The light network fails, the lamp turns on to it brightest setting or turns off completely, and refuses to go back into daytime blink mode. The only way to restore the functionality it is to hard reboot the Edge 1000, which means I have to stop my ride and remember to hit the start button again after the reboot.

This is pretty typical of Garmin. They bring out hardware and the software for it is total crap for at least a year. I should have known better to buy it. I haven't had it for long so I think I may take it back to my dealer for a refund, since it doesn't work as advertised.
  • Garmin released a firmware update, 14.20, for the Edge1000 with a step in the right direction. Among other fixes & enhancements is the following:

"Fixed an issue that could prevent bike light networks from reforming."
  • I rode for the first time today with Edge 1000 version 14.20 and I am cautiously optimistic. It was a short ride, about one hour, but there were no drop-outs, disconnects, or messages and the light stayed in daylight flash the entire time. I'll know more after this weekend's long rides, but it looks like the disconnect problem may be fixed.
  • Garmin released a firmware update, 14.20, for the Edge1000 with a step in the right direction. Among other fixes & enhancements is the following:

"Fixed an issue that could prevent bike light networks from reforming."

Well, not only did 14.20 not work so well for fixing light issues, but it totally broke support for my Stages power meter. I rode it on my gravel bike today. I'll ride my road bike tomorrow and see if the Stages on that is also not working.

I really cannot think of any company more incompetent at software development. Here we are 3 1/2 years after the release of the Edge 1000 and they still can't muster up a stable release. Fix one thing, break something else. Regression is Garmin's middle name. Rinse and repeat. Regression testing??? Who needs stinkin' regression testing.

Good luck to the 1030 customers. I bet you're in for a world of hurt.
  • Actually, I have the issue also on Edge 520, not only 1000 is affected.
  • nkitanov Software update 12.20 for the Edge 520 should address this issue. Please make sure you have updated to the most recent SW version.
    • Fixed an issue that could prevent bike light networks from reforming.
  • Same problem with Edge 510 plus UT800 and Varia radar. All sensors (Power2max powermeter, UT 800, Radar, heart rate, cadence) disconnect and promptly reconnect but with Light Network off. Then the UT 800 flashes anyway for about 5 minutes then goes off and I need to switch on manually again.
  • Well I seem to be on the garmin merry go round I had a garmin edge 100 and rear radar with a HL500 and it worked like a dream the headlight was very smart and lasted for quite some time the radar is one of the best bike products I have ever brought. I knew the 1030 was coming out so I took the plunge and brought one. got it home and fitted the new flush out front mount, fitted the HL500 and set it to the required level only to find my 1030 now tilted so far forward i could barley see the screen. Spoke to garmin and they said the fix was to send me another mount suggesting that i use one for the 1030 and one for the light LOLOL.

I decided to get the UT800 as the mount allows it to be adjusted up or down so the 1030 can be set at any level i like.......I to have had the disconnect issues with the UT800. what also surprised me is that to set it up you need a usb ant stick plus a usb lead. well i managed to get it working but the light seems to last no time at all after 30 to 40 mins of riding it reports battery low and then does not last much past this. I am really disappointed with it given that the HL500 lasted much much longer

Terry
  • trojax Thank you for the feedback. Please note that you do not need to use Express to update your UT800 as it will update via your Edge 1030. There is a new update to the UT800 that should resolve your issues. Please reach out if you need further assistance.