This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Varia front light VS Bontrager ion 700 RT

Former Member
Former Member
I have both, so here's some comparison between the 2 for those who hesitate, and feedback for Garmin for the Varia lights V2! ;)

right now, I think the Varia system is still better for cycling fast on straight, badly lit roads that I do not know well, but for all the rest, the Bontrager is better. Still keeping both, but the Varia is only out when I'm training for speed outside at night, in addition to the Bontrager which lights the road at close range and on the sides (by itself the cone of the Varia at high speed is too narrow and leaves a big dark area in front of the bike). On any other day, the Bontrager is better and more practical to use.

The only things I miss from the Varia are:
- the more focused, longer range beam when I go fast (bontrager lights quite as far too, but less focused, hence less road details)
- the ability to customize what light modes I use (I only need 3 out of 5 on the bontrager)
- could use the more powerful flashing mode. the Bontrager's is powerful enough to be seen during the day, but the Varia's absurdly strong flash scares the *** out of people and their reaction makes me sure I've been seen...
- quarter turn mount: Bontrager mount is really a pain...!

I thought I would miss auto light adjustment, but it's not that big a deal: manual override is more important to me.

Issues I had with the Garmin that were solved by the Ion 700 RT:
- Varia light doesn't lights the sides enough and there's a big dark area right in front of the bike... not great when doing lots of turns, narrow dark paths, trails with many holes... Bontrager is way better in that regard.

- impossible to manually override light mode when needed (low beam when someone in front, flash or full power to signal our presence, riding in well lit area...): the button is really hard to find, hard to push and on wrong side of unit if right handed. Worse, when I override, it disconnects from the Edge 820 and going back to auto mode means putting the light in pairing mode again: no lights while waiting for network to be formed again, which can take forever...

the Bontrager lights change mode easily: the button is lit and easy to push even with gloves, I can use the app on my Edge unit to change mode, and the remote adds the possibility to switch to high beam instantaneously (hence I placed it right under my thumb when on the hoods position). Big plus: the lights never disconnect from network and any mode is pairing mode, so I don't have to wait anymore for network to be formed in order to have light!

- Varia app is useless: it only tediously controls light beam angle and I have to go in the menus if I want to do anything else. Bontrager app gives direct access to 4 lighting modes as well as battery levels for front AND rear lights on one single screen!

- Varia light is too bulky and heavy: I leave it at home if I can.
Ion 700 is small and light: always in my pocket.

- Switching on/off Varia lights is a tedious process : 8 second press on a very hard and tiny button is way too long, plus significant battery drain if left in standby mode. It really needs to be switched off. Bontrager lights are simply on or off (no standby/pairing mode) and quick to activate. No significant drain to notice: I can switch all my lights on/off at the push of a button (from remote) or simply by switching the edge 820 on!

Issues I have on both lights:
- impossible to charge while in use: can't use an external source if batteries are flat
- very long time to charge
- battery life could be better, both around 2/3 hrs for normal use (60% well lit areas, 20% unlit roads, 20% unlit tracks). Varia might last longer in theory, but since it's easy to manually change the Bontrager's lighting mode, I have it in flashing mode when the lighting conditions are good, whereas the Varia in auto mode is always in steady light, intensity depending on ambient lighting (plus some random flashing that happens when it feels like it...?)

hope this helps!
    - Varia light doesn't lights the sides enough and there's a big dark area right in front of the bike... not great when doing lots of turns, narrow dark paths, trails with many holes... Bontrager is way better in that regard.....

Thanks for the comparison but the Garmin unit was designed with road use in mind.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Thanks for the comparison but the Garmin unit was designed with road use in mind.

Yes, of course. I mention trails because I sometimes do that too, but I'm mostly a road cyclist! ;) even if I were exclusively considering road use I don't think a light should have that big dark gap right in front of the bike: potholes are a reality and I can easily miss them in high beam angle with the Varia, not mentioning portions of badly maintained cobbles that still exist here and there around Paris... having to slow below 20 just so I can see in front of my wheels is a bit silly IMO...

Also, being able to see on the sides is important: when going near cities, pedestrians can be on the sides of unlit roads and cross without paying attention... I ve had a few close calls with the Varia only, reason why I needed a secondary light, therefore defeating the very reason I initially got this light: I thought this one big light with automatic adjustment would be great to replace the 2 previous lights I had... but the way the optics is designed, I still need a flood light! :(

... but my main gripe with the Varia is actually how badly Garmin did the connectivity part: the Bontrager ones are a lot better integrated with my Edge 820... the only thing they miss is a long range focus light... but this can easily be solved by adding a secondary light with an on/off switch, and I fear my Varia has now become a very expensive, very high tech version of that!
  • Having used multiple lights on fast trails and MUP at night, the MTB approach of two lights, a bright ahead and a helmet mount , fixes the issue.

Also give a back up, which I use anyway.

Great review on the functionality of both