This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Varia Radar connection to Garmin Express

Former Member
Former Member
Hi Guys .... I bought the Garmin Varia Radar unit on the weekend and am well pleased (I only had 1 ride so far and it's connected to my Garmin Edge 1000)

When I connect it to the pc, and open Garmin Express, how do I register this product? .... When I select 'add a new device', it does not find it
  • Yes, your Varia Rearview Radar should show up in Garmin Express when it's connected to your computer.

Try quitting Garmin Express completely first, re-launching the program, then re-connecting your Radar device.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Yes, your Varia Rearview Radar should show up in Garmin Express when it's connected to your computer.

Try quitting Garmin Express completely first, re-launching the program, then re-connecting your Radar device.

tried that a few times .... it asks to plug in a device etc, then does a search but cannot find it with the message that it could not find the device or ANT stick...

it then pops up with a menu asking wahat am I trying to add and has options such as Vivofit, Index scale, automotive, etc .... there is an option called Other, but when I click this, it says that I must make sure that the device is powered on (it does not power on when connected to the USB port, but it does charge, and is recognised as Garmin in D drive .... it was bought off Amazon Prime from Garmin and does have the latest software

I'm just worried that I cannot get Express to see it and I won't be able to update to new software in the future
  • What software version is currently on the Radar unit. The sensor details page on the Edge should show it when in communication with the radar unit. Also the GarminDevice.xml file in the Garmin folder on the radar unit will contain that information.

You could try a manual update.

Place this file in the Garmin folder on the radar unit and rename it to gupdate.gcd.

http://gawisp.com/perry/edge/VariaRadarTailLight_340.gcd
  • On the Varia - try renaming the GarminDevice.xml and upon restarting the Varia recreates it. Then plug it back in to your computer and searching for it in GarminExpress.

Also how much free space is on your Varia - it should be the most part of 2.0MB - if not, unhide all the files and folders and look for stuff that shouldn't be there... There are other posts in this subforum that should help you determine which those are.
  • It does not always work with cheap usb-cables. I just had success connecting the varia by switching from a super-budget usb-cable to a standard one. The cheap cable however isn't totally broken as it still works as a charging cable