This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia mounting options

I'm seeing no reason the Varia can't be mounted directly behind the seat - attached to the seat rails, instead of the seat post. On my bike the Varia mounted to the seat post takes up all the real estate behind my bike, anything else I try to put back there blocks the radar.

Mounting high behind the seat would let me stash a spare tube in a saddle bag UNDER the Varia, use the seat post for a Fly6 or alternate blinkie, or put a low profile container on top of a rear rack.

All the mounts that I can find that enable this are for Go-Pros, so the solution is to buy a GoPro seat rail mount, then buy a Go Pro to Garmin Varia adaptor.

That's $55+ I'll spend to mount the Varia that Garmin's missing out on. I can't be the only one with this issue. Would they consider manufacturing a seat rail mount for the Varia Radar?
  • Garmin mount on saddlebag

I took a Garmin 'out front' mount which has metal threaded inserts, meaning it can be bolted to something using M3 bolts. I laser cut 2 pieces or Perspex. One for inside the bag and one for outside. This prevents the bolt holes from tearing out of the bag, and the external sides give leverage for twisting the Varia on and off.

View from inside the saddlebag

I also used an additional circular piece on the outside to act as a spacer to push the Varia slightly outwards. This helps it to not foul on the rear-facing camera that I have mounted above it.

Rear view with Varia attached

Here's what it looks like before the camera is placed above the Varia. When the camera is mounted, I use one of those reopenable cable ties to prevent the bag from jostling up and down. It really improves the video, and I expect it helps with the radar as well (but no way of 'seeing' that).

Hope this helps. I've been using this for a month now and it's working out really well so far. Love the Varia.

• hi could you share the drawings of the two two pieces you designed? Would be great to reuse your design.

• Sure, why not? I've uploaded the .SVGs to Github

.SVG files for Varia mount

• Thanks ! I was able to CNC the provided SVG from 1/16in Delrin plastic sheets. I used M3x10mm button head screws to secure everything together. I also used a knife to remove the existing webbing strap by cutting the stitching. One thing I did notice was that I had to scale the SVG by ~3.78x

• Well done. That's odd about the scaling of the .SVG. It's exactly the same .SVG I used in my laser cutter. But the most important thing is that you got it working. It's kinda cool to see someone else out there with the same mod. Mine is still holding up welll. It's almost as if it was 'meant to be'. Enjoy using yours.

•  For those who want to mount to the back of a saddle bag, I devised a really simple way to do this.  I cut a thin strip of aluminum 3x3/4”.  Then I removed the two screws that hold the Varia mount to the seat post mount.  Using the Varia mount as a template, I drilled two 1/8” holes centered through the aluminum strip.  I then drilled a matching pair of 3/16” holes through the back of the saddle bag where I wanted the Varia mounted.  Using the aluminum strip as a backing, I inserted the two screws through the aluminum, the saddle bag, and into the Varia mount.  Done.

• I use one off these

• Excellent find!  Solves my problems of mounting my Varia to my saddle while freeing up my post for a bag.  Perfect!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

another quick DIY job with k-edge garmin-sport-tt-mount

happy & safe sporting

• Like many of others, my saddle bag leaves only a small amount of space to mount a long unit like the RTL 510 or RTL 515.  My solution:  Purchase an RTL 315 (the unit without a light) and simply place it IN my saddle bag up against the fabric at the back.  Works like a charm and can’t ever fall off my bike.  For a light, I have just enough space below my saddle bag to mount a Cygolite Hot Shot 100.  Oh, and as a bonus, this combination cost approximately $50 Cnd less to purchase than the RTL 515 will, if it ever makes its way to Canada!  Happy days!!