This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia mounting options

I'm seeing no reason the Varia can't be mounted directly behind the seat - attached to the seat rails, instead of the seat post. On my bike the Varia mounted to the seat post takes up all the real estate behind my bike, anything else I try to put back there blocks the radar.

Mounting high behind the seat would let me stash a spare tube in a saddle bag UNDER the Varia, use the seat post for a Fly6 or alternate blinkie, or put a low profile container on top of a rear rack.

All the mounts that I can find that enable this are for Go-Pros, so the solution is to buy a GoPro seat rail mount, then buy a Go Pro to Garmin Varia adaptor.

That's $55+ I'll spend to mount the Varia that Garmin's missing out on. I can't be the only one with this issue. Would they consider manufacturing a seat rail mount for the Varia Radar?
  • I am in the same boat.  Trying to figure out how to clip my Cycliq onto my saddle bag.  Apparently the Varia and Cycliq, while they look alike, are NOT compatible. 

• Sounds like a great idea ! Thanks for sharing!

• I wanted to mount my Varia RTL510 to the saddlebag. It's a standard Medium Topeak bag. I decided to laser cut two identical pieces of acrylic and use those in combnation with the Garmin twist mount from an out-front handlebar mount. They have nice metal M3 threaded inserts, which enabled me to bolt it all together with just two small holes in the saddlebag. Not ridden it yet, but it looks as if it will do the job nicely.

Final result It's quite low down on the saddlebag as I have a dashcam that will go above it. But it hangs at the correct angle in that position.

Perspex mount for Varia Possibly wider than necessary, but I'm keen to avoid the mount 'tearing out' from the bag. It also gives something to push against when you are mounting or removing the Varia.

Here's what it looks like inside the bag Identical Perspex piece on the inside helps prevent tear-out and torsion.

• £31 though for piece of plastic. Since I have my own laser cutter, I designed and made mine in about half an hour.

• Has anyone tried mounting to the seat stay?

I use a Revalate saddle bag for bike packing and commuting and can not mount on seat post nor to the bag.

• I made holes in my bag to mount it to the bag. Ain't no bag been made that a mount couldn't be cobbled up for Slight smile

I did consider mounting to the seat stay but rejected the idea for two reasons...

1) I think the wheel would interfere with the radar's 'pattern'

2) If you fall over on that side there's a much higher likelihood of damaging your Varia

So in the end I decided to hack my bag by making (very small - just large enough) holes in it.

• Hi Mark,

I'm really interested in your solution to mount the RTL510 to a saddle bag.  Could you please post more pictures of your final result?  I've seen you post them on another site, but all the links for the images bring up "This Image Is currently Unavailable". 

Thanks!

• Hi Baylee

I have quite a few pics to share but for some reason I find it difficult to posts pics on this site, and I think I am better than average at it, at least.If you don’t mind sharing your email I’d be more than happy to send some pics. Hope I’m not breaking any rules by asking.  

• @alexeames could you share some pics of how you cobbled this? Like @rgaryantes I have a Revelate Terrapin seatbag and am trying to figure out how to attach my varia rtl510