This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Varia radar mount for Trek Madone

Has anyone come up with a decent solution for mounting the varia on a madone rear end?. The aero grommet is too narrow for the rectangular post, and the standard cup is too wide, wondering if bontrager will step up & make one that would clip onto the bracket that you can put the bontrager flare lights on etc...a bit annoying I cannot use my varia on that bike..anyone else come up with a solution to fit to a madone
  • interesting

Thanks for the link, interesting items that you can get , not sure if either of those would work, but I am sure they can make one that would fit to the Bontrager bracket that the flare light uses...will contact them & see
    cheers
  • I was looking at the K-Edge website and I realised that by using one of these

one of these

and a M6 nut you can end up with this
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Garmin Varia mount for Madone 9 Series

Here is one specifically for the Madone 9 Series, you have to disassemble the supplied (with the Madone) reflector mount and put this one in and re-assemble it them it just clips in like the Bontrager Flare mount.
    Trek Madone Light Mount Varia Insert

• excellent job

thanks bud will pop across & order a couple, appreciate you sorting it mate
  • Former Member
    Ingenious solution

@57DIBBS
    That is a pretty slick solution.

I started doing my stuff simply because I did not want to string together an adapter with an adapter with an adapter. Besides the Madone 9 Series has an elegant solution with their already supplied light bracket, There was no point in not using it. Plus my solution still allows you to use any size saddlebag you desire. That is also the reason I have done Specialized SWAT and Fizik ICS adapters for the Edge/Varia.

Please note that I am not trying to advertise a business, I am a single cyclist, with some rudimentary CAD skills and a desire to have something work that was not a kludge of multiple pieces. Shapeways is kind of like the Etsy of 3D printing. They don't own my designs, nor am I an employee, they are just a 3D printing service that prints, ships and takes care of customer service on stuff I and hundreds of other people design. It is mostly jewelry and train stuff but there are a few people on their that do bicycle accessories (the guy that has little items that plug into empty single speed frame brake mount holes is especially creative).

@chris5150
    All I ask is that you send me a picture (or link to one) of the Varia mounted on the back of your bike when you get it all together and I ask permission to post that picture on the forums I usually frequent. Also, as I mentioned to you in my PM, you will find the red one is much nicer finished than the black one.
  • certainly

Will be a pleasure to send you a pic once I have it sorted, cheers
  • and here it is fitted

Good job bud...thanks, very sleek solution,annoying thing wont let me add pictures,sorry, emailed them to bud, hopefully he will post
    thanks

• Former Member
    Thank Chris

I think you need to encase images in the img and /img tags. I resized your images to 800 pixels wide and uploaded them to IMGUR.COM. If you need to post images in forum posts you should open a free account there.
  • Hi,

I'm interested in this solution for my Madone 9 and Varia Radar as well.

However, can I just check - is it the light mount (part number W516121 I believe) that's required or the reflector mount as stated above? The reason I ask is that neither were included with my new bike (nor were the bottle cage mounts) so I'm having to chase my dealer to obtain them. I've already asked for the light mount but now wonder if I need to get the reflector mount as well / instead. There's a picture of both mounts in the thread linked below.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139360&start=30

Thanks

Dave