Lens Damage: Suggestions, Solutions, Future Product Ideas.

After a few off-road rides on gravel/MTB the lens is looking pretty ordinary. Small stone chips are appearing on the lens which will start degrading the video/image quality.

I mentioned this could/would occur in my initial review of this device when it was released. I was stupid enough not to take my own advice and put on some kind of lens cover. Anyhow... a few thoughts on this one:

- Does Garmin offer a lens replacement service? 

- Garmin should include/sell size-specific lens covers for the RTL715/716.

- Future revisions of this product should include a replaceable lens/lens kit of some sort. 

If nothing else, let this serve as a warning for owners to protect your RTL715/716 lens! 

Top Replies

•  I would look into a 19mm or 20mm watch protector.  

Here are the two that I purchased from amazon:

2X BROTECT HD-Clear Screen Protector for Wristwatches (Circular, Diameter: 19mm), Crystal-Clear, Hard…

All Replies

•  I would look into a 19mm or 20mm watch protector.  

Here are the two that I purchased from amazon:

2X BROTECT HD-Clear Screen Protector for Wristwatches (Circular, Diameter: 19mm), Crystal-Clear, Hard-Coated, Dirt-Repellent
    2X BROTECT HD-Clear Screen Protector for Wristwatches (Circular, Diameter: 20mm), Crystal-Clear, Hard-Coated, Dirt-Repellent

I installed the 20mm and it fits perfectly (I can't tell it's there as there is absolutly no wiggle room within the lense frame.  I have seen threads where people recommended 19mm covers. I haven't tried 19 yet since the 20 fit so well for mine.

I haven't seen any glass material yet that would fit, but these are film and seem to be better than nothing.  I haven't done a lot of gravel yet but I've had one on it for over a year now and I can't tell it's there...it doesn't appear to impact the video quality.

-To your point, I think there should be replaceable covers, as most people aren't going to go searching for 3rd party solutions.