Varia App: Is It As Worthless As It Seems?

I did my second ride with the RCT715.  This one was nearly 40 minutes, with the new 128GB card installed.  The 103UNSVD directory has 81 videos, and I used nearly 7GB of space again.

I tried looking at a couple of the video files using the Varia app.  A half minute of video took more time than that to begin playing, and I experienced several pauses during playback.  The quality of the picture seemed good to me; I recorded at 1080P.  It also had audio of the rear derailleur clicking away as I coasted.

I tried to replay it for my wife, and it ran even slower, with pauses that seemed to last forever.  The second one I tried to play was just as balky.

This video showed me riding off my driveway, and up to the end of my cul-de-sac street.  I can envision myself spending a couple of days to actually watch the video of my ride.

Question:  What does the app setting for Video Clip Length do?  It has a default value of 1 minute 30 seconds, and can be changed in 30 second increments up to a maximum of 5 minutes.  I have it set to five minutes, so why are all the videos roughly 30 seconds, both when recording, and when viewing them?  Does the setting do anything?

When I read about the RCT715, with radar, a light, and a camera, I envisioned it as a way to look at a ride.  The radar seems somewhat pointless to me, since I've been riding for 40+ years without one, and I'm still here.  But Garmin seems to treat the video as providing critical information in case of a crash, or in case of a hit by a motor vehicle, and of little or no value for any other purpose.

Considering that I had to buy the unit, then buy a saddle rail mount kit, and then find one of my bikes that had round metal rails on the saddle just to get it mounted, did I buy a $450 brick?