This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Picture quality is unusable for license plates 90% of the time

I have used the 1st and 2nd gen Fly 6 from CyclIQ and cannot say I was ever as disappointed with the picture quality as much as I am with the Garmin. I love the radar alert, and I love the idea of a camera integrated, but without image stabilization, I cannot use the clips to report offenses to police. Case in point: this week a guy chases me down and nearly runs me down me after I flip him off and scolded him for passing within a foot of me on an open road (clear harassment and endangerment). However when I pulled over when he was gone to review the tape for plates... nada... squat. So what good is it if I cannot report a LIC #?

I hope Garmin will spend a bit more time refining their products before release as this in addition to the horrible data lag issues with the 1040 Solar are making doubt whether I should ever buy their products again.

• Works fine for me with UK number plates. I'm guessing you're in the US? Aren't there several states where drivers aren't even required to display a front plate?

• Yes, in the US. And yes, some states do not mandate a front plate. In my state they are required, and the point of the post is about the poor video quality in an era where that has long-since been resolved for these kinds of devices. My 4yr old Fly6 gets better video, except when on really bumpy roads. And vs. a GoPro... like comparing 5G to dial-up.

The tech is available, I just don't know why it did not come on a $400 device.