This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Change clip-length

Did anyone managed to get the clip-length changed via the Varia app? I've tried first to change the standard setting to 5min, but after the next ride I ended up with all clips splitted in 30 sec episodes. Then I've tried to change it to 3 min today, with the same result - I get only 30 sec clips. Strangely all other settings I've made with the app haven been successfully saved and set on the Varia RCT715 (e.g. change of camera mode, light mode etc.).

Firmware: 4.70
App-Version: 2.1.0 29

• I think that setting is to specify te clip-length if you press the save video clip, it will save 5 minutes.

Sadly there is no way to change the 30 sec. clips.

I hacked a program, that stitches al the clips to one giant mp4 and saves it if i connect the RCT715 to my computer.
    Wish Garmin would have provided that option, I kind of understand the 30 sec. clip recording on the device, but you should be able to download it as one file.

• Many thanks for the explanation. It seems I was too enthusiastic when I found the setting and thought it sets the overall clip-length. There is a short hint in the menu, that it is only valid for the manual started video clips, but it could be more detailed in my eyes. 

Anyway, I will now also implement a work-around-solution until Gamin hopefully comes with some enhanced export functionality.

Cheers

• Short addition - as I am a Mac user, I use now the iMovie software, which comes free with every Mac. Workflow is quite simple, connect the Varia via USB to the Mac, open iMovie and create a new movie, import all clips and save as one file (share ->as file). Maybe I will implement some further automation, but for the moments it's fine for me.

• This is really a big negative. The Cycliq camera allows you to set video clips up to 15 minutes.

• Why wouldn't Garmin allow us to change the clip length..??? I get many close passes and it's a real pain to find the clip and secondly it usually happens with 1 second to go on the clip. It's surely an easy firmware update and all the cameras I've owned let me do it..Even the really cheap £30 helmet cam lets me change clip length.

• Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE needs to submit the idea to Garmin on their idea page - https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

The more noise you make, the sooner this may happen.  
    Do it weekly if need be.  More noise, faster response.

• I use VLC Media Player as my video viewing tool. It lets you load a ton of files at once. I just load all my 30 second clips at once then can view as if I'm watching one large files. Works like a charm.