This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Mounting the RCT715

I use a saddle bag on my bike(s).  I'm trying to figure out what options I have for mounting the RCT715. 

Two of my bikes have small seat stays and round seat posts. The third has a flat back seat post and fairly thick seat stays (Pinarello Prince from 2019).

It looks like I'd need to dump the saddle bag on the Pinarello in order to mount and use the RCT715.  The other two bikes I could maybe mount on the left side seat stay.

What have you all done?

Thanks!

• Same issue. I took the mount apart and the managed to attache the part that attaches to the radar to an 3rd party mount that was for the RTL515. I then ran the the mount through the tab on the bag that usually holds a small tail light.  I had done something similar for the RTL515 to attach to the seat bag. I can not find a way to attach a picture here.

• Similar issue here - wife's Pinarello is a 46, so it's smol and not a lot of seat tube when there's a saddle bag attached.  If she's out with me, we could dump her bag, but that becomes risky should we have a flat problem (for that rare double flat instance).  Same issue on her OPEN, not a lot of real estate to mount it.  Fortunately when we're out together I'll put the Varia on my bike, and even when I'm in the lead it's picking everything up perfectly.  Just wish there was another option for mounting for her solo rides. 

• Just purchased  the radar 715. I mount it to my seat post. Now I can't  use a saddle bag. If your short  than the 715 is useless.  I don't ride without a saddle bag.  Is their any solution from garmin. Short people means  lowering  the seat post.

• Wolfgang, I talked to Garmin Support (in the US).  The two flexible attaching pieces are too short for my Pinarello's seat post, and they do not have any longer ones.  So I cannot mount the RCT715 on that bike.

One reply above suggests attaching the RCT715 to the saddle bag, but I expect it will move around during use, making the video pretty bad.

I am going to try to mount the RCT715 on my Colnago C-50, which has an old style round seat post.  I obtained a "bottle" that will hold my spare tube, CO2 cartridge, etc., so I can take the saddle bag off that bike.

Since I got the RCT715, I have had two flats, which requires the supplies I carry in my saddle bag.  I have not been run over by a motorist, so to me, the toolkit is more important than the radar!

Viel glueck!

• I have the same problem, help!

• So I found  this  on  Amazon. It works however I get a little bit of  footage from my tire and saddle bag.

• I got a new bike yesterday, a Colnago C64, and the seat post is smaller than the Pinarello's, but still way too large for the Garmin supplied bands.  I may have to give up on the radar unit.

•  Mag-Cad makes 3d-printed saddle mounts for various saddles that have hard-mounts, like my Specialized Romin EVO S-works saddle. This is the best way to have a solid mount for the RCT715 and also have room to put a saddle bag in between the mount and a seatpost. You may have to experiment with which saddle bag best fits in between:

www.magcad-designs.com/.../magcad-garmin-varia-rct715-specialized-swat-saddle-mount

• This is Cestbon as well, installed it over the weekend. Good quality Aluminium.

I had to source it from Amazon U.S.

Cestbon

• Where did you get this one exactly on Amazon? I couldn't find it, I found the other one that attaches to the seatpost, but not saddle rails