This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

High-Pitched Whine

Has anyone else noticed an extremely high-pitched whine from the RCT715 when it's switched on? It's right on the edge of my hearing range, so it's more like a sensation at the back of my head, but it's definitely coming from the unit is it corresponds with it being turned on and off. Not really an issue as I don't think I'd hear it when cycling, but I'm just hoping mine isn't about to fry itself.

EDIT: just tested and it seems to be at approximately 8000Hz and 16000Hz. Seriously hoping all the dogs in the neighbourhood aren't going to be chasing me!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago

I hope some more people can comment on this, as I have one on order but the seller only takes back unopened items.  My other hobby is playing music and I'm quite sensitive to these types of noises.

• Nope. I have had it on in my very quiet home office too, and I don’t hear anything.

• Mine does that also. Sounds like something electronic, maybe noisy FET or capacitor.  I don't really notice it outside. I doubt it's going to bother a dog unless it's even higher frequency than 19K.

• I just picked one up and mine does the exact same thing. A buddy of mine also got one the same time I did today I asked him and his is doing the same thing. 

• mine too.. only if i put the varia right into my ear.

• Former Member

Same here.  I don't think it will be noticeable on the bike.  

• Former Member

I sat the 715 next to my 510 and when the light is on, they both do the same whine noise (similar to coil whine in a gaming PC).  It's not quite as loud in the older models, but even with the 715 I have to have it pointing at my head at the right angle to hear it.  I can't notice it once it's on the bike behind me.   I wouldn't worry about it affecting longevity.  I own all kinds of chargers, power supplies and small devices that make similar noise when the voltage fluctuates.  Likely this is what is happening - I believe these types of lights flicker on and off at different frequencies to dictate the brightness.