This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Travelling with Rally power pedals

I recently went on a trip with my bike inside a car, and it seemed the motion of the car kept waking up the pedals.  Is there any way keep them in sleep mode?  Or is taking the batteries out the only option to stop them from turning on?  Or do the only really wake to rotary motion, and then only woke when I was putting the bike in and out of the car?

I'd like to minimize messing with the batteries, since the contacts have been a weakness of the pedals in the past, but I can't find any information on putting them in a forced sleep for travelling.

Thanks.

• Hi, are you certain it was waking the pedals? I wouldn't expect carrying it in a vehicle to do that. They need rotations of the crank to wake up. I've never tested to determine exactly how many degrees of rotation is required, but it would be easy to check -- just rotate the crank until the lights start flashing. If the bike was laying on its side on one of the pedals and free to move around a bit, there could be some back and forth motion of the crank, but I don't know if it would be enough to wake them. In any case I think it would have to be continuous motion since they go to sleep again after a few minutes.

This summer I did a 6 week trip across Canada and back with the bike in the back of the vehicle, sitting upright in a fork mount. That was about 150 hours of driving time, and there was no crank motion so I don't have any reason to believe the pedals were waking. I do routinely drive with it laying on its side on one pedal and it moves around during the drive, though it's never occurred to me it could reduce useful battery life. I still get several months at least before needing fresh batteries.

I suppose if you really wanted to dive deeper, you could examine the running time info that's recorded in the FIT files (battery info section). If there is an increase in running time between activities that you can't account for, maybe it was from time in the vehicle. But it would have to be a significant amount of time to add up to enough to be noticeable. With battery life over 100 hrs, I can't see it adding up to enough to make much difference. Cheers

• Same here, I wouldn't worry, unless you're driving with your bike significantly more than riding it. In which case I would recommend looking into that problem ;-)

The batteries seem to last forever, independently of whether I happen to drive with my bike across Europe, drive to cycle in remote places, or just keep cycling around my home.

• Thanks to both of you!  I guess it isn't an issue then.  I just had noticed the lights on when putting the bike in the back of a car, and then again when I was taking it out.  It was on it's side, under blankets, with another bike on top, so I couldn't really see if the pedals were awake during the drive.  It could have just been when they were disturbed getting the bike in and out.