This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

XC200 Firmware Update to 4.1 - 4.1 doesn’t Install

Yesterday my edge 1040 told me that the 4.1 update for my XC200 pedals was available (I haven’t used this bike/computer combo for a while).  When I got home I used Garmin Connect on my phone to install the update.  The update progress bar went as expected and the lights on the pedals flashed green/red.  When the download ended my phone told me to wait for the pedals to restart.  However, nothing happened.  Neither the green flashes for success nor the red flashes for failure happened.  In fact, as soon as the download finished the lights just went dark.  I waited for a while and then spun the pedals to wake them up and they connected to GC.  The firmware was listed as up to date and version 4.0.  Next I turned on my Edge 1040.  It told me that the 4.1 firmware was available.  So, I had my 1040 install it.  It downloaded like expected with the lights flashing green/red.  Then, the Edge started waiting for the pedals to restart which never happened.  Again, as soon as the download was done the lights just went dark.  And, as before, when I woke up the pedals the Edge said they were up to date on 4.0.  They seem to be working fine and they calibrate successfully.

It seems like 4.1 will download but doesn’t install.  What do I do?  What do I try?  Should I just stay on 4.0?

• Hi , Please install New, Fresh batteries in the pedals and attempt the update again. Allow about 10 minutes for the update to complete and keep the Edge and Pedals next to each other. You may need to remove the pedals from the edge and re-add them, and sync them with Garmin Connect before looking for the update again. 

• I did as you suggested- install new batteries and reinstall 4.1,  It installed (slowly) and everything seems to work.  The Rally power matches my other power meter just like before and everything else seems ok.  Tow oddities:

1) On the battery screen on the Edge 1040 is shows the battery level of my brand new batteries as 3 bars out of 4.  Garmin Connect says "ok",  The 3 of 4 bars was not what I expected with new batteries.

2) The Firmware install was different than previous versions.  At least the behavior of the lights was.  After the firmware downloaded it started to install and the lights on both pedal flashed alternating  red-green with each light on for about a second.  This went on for an few minutes.  Then the lights went off (black) for 5 or 10 seconds.  Then they started flashing red-green again but about twice as fast as before.  After a few minutes the lights went black again.  After 5 or 10 seconds they started flashing red-green again at the original 1 second rate.  After a few more minutes they flashed to 20 green success signal.  I have never seen the multiple, different, flash rates before.

• 1) On the battery screen on the Edge 1040 is shows the battery level of my brand new batteries as 3 bars out of 4.  Garmin Connect says "ok",  The 3 of 4 bars was not what I expected with new batteries.

Same here.

Is this a bug or a feature, 

• It's always like that I try with different battery and always only 3 of 4 bars are green. I guess it's a bug.