This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problem with Rally XC Connectivity on Right Pedal

I am looking for a solution for using a pedal power meter. The Garmin Rally XC200 (I have two units) have an identical design fault. The background of this situation is as follows.

I had a stroke about 5 years ago causing impairing to my right leg, right leg  was 0% power output. With exercise it now gives about 20% output (left leg 80%, 20% right leg Balance of power). Last year it was 100%L/0%R so significantly improve over this year.

This dual power meter is why it is very important to me.

Garmin Rally XC200 has a design fault in that the software or the connectivity network is not stable. The left pedal power meter controls communicate via linked to the head unit. The right pedal only communicates to the left pedal, with the left pedal transferring information about to the right pedal to the head unit.

I had two sets of power meter with the identical problem. A recumbent trike (Greenspeed GT20) and a stationary recumbent bike (York LC-RB). When working (very infrequently) the readings looks fine from the right pedal. The hardware in both pedals looks fine and a loss of power (like the earlier problems in the Vector 3) is not the issue time.

Garmin asked me to check pairing etc but offered me a refund for two power meters. They must know what is going on with the dual power meters for SPD.

There is some difficult with the SPD cleat compared the Rally RS200 (also dual pedal power meter units. Single pedal meter does obviously have the connectivity issues.

My bikes may because the connective issue due to the differences of recumbent to a DF bike but it should be working. SPD system has been a more difficult to find power meters. SRM Power X is another power meter but limited information on experience in the market.

Walking in the SPD cleat is much easier, so I could use different cleat on the stationary bike as the walking doesn’t matter the distance on the trike needs to favour the SPD.

I don’t need the trike data (it was a good information but not critical), as the stationary bike will give me a record of progress on power balance on the legs.So, any comments of the dual power meter and the Rally RS200 would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Anthony

• I will answer my own question!

Returned one set Rally XC200 to get my money back (stationary bike) and I will keep the second power meter pedals on the trike. Intermittent of data is better than no data.

There alternatives in the market place don't look attractive to me.

Garmin may fix the problem (loss of power from right pedal, 

The communication network architecture of the right pedal talking to only the left pedal is the problem. The right PCO is fine only the power data???). So the link from the right pedal is solid because the right PCO data is not missing, only Power balance communicating/calculation with only the left pedal is causing the problem.

I can diagnose the problem but obviously without access to the code to fix this the problem.

If Garmin lacks sufficient resources/skills, open up the code to users to improve the code.