This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

low power garmin rally rs200

HI,
I bought the garmin rally rs200 a few weeks ago and I noticed that after 45'/1h of pedaling the power is underestimated by 20/30 watts and also the right/left balance is 61/49% LR. How can I solve the problem?

in this segment of strava it can be seen that with 4 watts less of average power I lowered the old time by almost a minute, I would like to point out that the weight of the cyclist and the bike has remained the same, similar climatic conditions with no wind.

• so, what i found: here is the suito - rs200 graph, i think here the problem is that the Suito was not spindown calibrated after a 10mins warmup (when it is warm enough) but just cold . is it true?  (usually the best method to do a spindown regularly after a workout but not when it is cold) Your balance was L51-R49 /L50-R50 at the beginning and after it went to the L48-R52 range. in ideal condition the difference between the trainer and the bike power meter (if that is dual/total powermeter) is between 1-2-2.5% maximum, (small ring front, middle at rear), if you are training on big ring (which is a mistake on indoor trainer in ERG) and lower gears (near to 53-11 , -12, -13), then the difference is bigger , but never 8-9% , at least i never experienced such a big drivetrain loss :)

lets see the outdoor ride, that is much more interest . before when You started that 15mins interval on the hill, your balance was aprpx L57-R43 (which is really weird and bad data i think), and as You started the climb, it started to change heavily (and i think it caused the power drop too, here is the graph) and went down to L42-R58 which is abnormal behaviour. i dont know what happened here (loosened pedal/s/ maybe after a dis and remount, it needs 40NM torque , otherwise if the pedal is rotating a tiny bit then the presetted angle will be different as the real axle angle is, at least it was the situation with the older Garmin pedals in the past, as i know it has already an automatic angle verifier algorhytm but this auto things could be wrong sometimes as the auto-zero too with this Garmin pedal-family, never trust in that) the temp was almost stable 13-15-13C, so it cant be temp drift in the pedals. what i suggest to do when you install the pedals: always torquen the pedals with 40NM, do a few short but intense sprint, then angle setup and manual zero calibration. and after these everytime when you train, do a manual zero calibration on Rally, i know , there is an auto-zero (within a narrow range, so it is not 100% trustfully)  in it but the best is the manual zeroing and avoid the auto things 

• is it true? 

Yes

This excessive imbalance both towards the left and towards the right seemed strange to me too.

From now on, I will calibrate every workout...

do you advise me to deactivate the automatic calibration or do I leave it active anyway?

• honestly, my only concern about this kind of auto-zero is that you have no feedback on the head-unit that "auto-zero performed" or similar message (before and/or during the ride) and you never know that the auto-zero is done or not, if done when, etc. i think if the auto-zero is enabled that is not bad, just better to do always a manual zero calibration before every ride next to it to be 100% sure 

• I had the same problem with Auto calibration.

Before I always manually calibrated but I wanted to try autocalibration.

After a few days of use I looked into the data and found a balance of 60/40 or something like that and wondered how it is possible, because I always had ~49/51.

I realized that the only thing changed was the autocal.

All rides while using autocal had this anomaly.

I switched it off and calibrated manually, and after this until now everything is back at normal ~49/51.

Must have been the autocal feature.

• hello, even now I get inaccurate balance values ​​sometimes ....
    I do manual calibration before starting a workout, but now I'll turn off automatic calibration and I'll let you know.
    thanks for info

• Does it work now?

• no way i still have some 60/40 balance data even with auto calibration off.

Have you solved?

I contact Garmin during the week and see what they tell me.

• I have a similar problem, after the first change of batteries balance is very inaccurate. The strange things is that cadence and power seems to not drop, but every 2/3 minutes my balance drop to 20/80 or 30/70 for 20-30 seconds and then came back to right value (near 50-50). 

At the end of the ride i found my medium balance at 45/55 or 43/57... with the original batteries was 49/51 or 50/50.

I also see from Cycling Dinamics that right pedal sometimes disappear but it does not affect cadence or of power.