This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is anyone getting a low battery warning with Rel 4.00

According to the Rally manual you should get a low battery warning

Battery Information

The RallyTm system monitors the battery level of both pedals and sends status information to your Garmin® device.
NOTE: When you receive a low battery warning, you have approximately 10–20 hours of operation time remaining.

However my Rally XC200s (on firmware 4.00)  died without warning this week.  The previous ride in Garmin Connect showed battery staus OK, but 5 mins into my ride yesterday they stopped working without any warning or indication of what was wrong - they simply wouldn't connect.

When I got back I installed new batteries and everything was good.  Totting up the rides I had  been using them for a c. 118 hours, so I have no complaint about the battery life, but it would have been nice to get the advance warning.

I'm using an Edge 1040 (rel 14.20) and on the Edge 1040 forum other people have been reproting the same issue, but I'm unclear whether its specific to the Edge 1040 or to the Rallys on firmware 4.00.

Is anyone else having this issue on other Garmin devices?

• I confirm that the Rally seem to not warn users before the battery dies. Experienced it with my XC100 yesterday.

The day before yesterday the battery status was "GOOD" according to the FIT file.

The dead battery had a voltage of 1.48V. It should have 3V. So it must be that the Rally either suck the last drop out of the battery before the system shuts down or the battery was some kind of short-circuited. I noticed that the voltage climbed up to 1.67V after the batter had been removed form the pedal for 20m, as if the battery "recovered" a bit without the load. Just an observation.

It was ~10-12°C outside yesterday if this could be relevant for Garmin engineers. The sudden dropout happened after 3h of continuous riding.

My Wahoo Roam V1 head unit shows battery warnings for my Stages power meter and the Polar H10 HR strap.

• My Rally XC200 pedals also died without any low battery warning. On 12 Nov the battery status was "OK" / green in Garmin Connect, and on 14 Nov the pedals died about 1 hr 10 mins into the ride. Rally firmware v4.0 with Garmin Edge 530 v9.50. These were the OEM CR1/3 batteries that shipped with the pedals direct from Garmin.

Replaced the batteries and the pedals are working okay again (which was a relief, since these pedals are a warranty replacement for a previous set that died completely, and I was worried it happened again).

I see Garmin has replied to a similar topic in the Edge 1040 forum on 27 Oct to say it's under investigation now:

forums.garmin.com/.../1517232

• New firmware might have a fix related to this. Seems to fix battery reporting issues. 

• When mine were on FW 4.00, the batteries were showing as OK but suddenly died without any warning. Hopefully, FW 4.10 will fix the issue:

Changes made from 4.00 to 4.10:

• Fixed issue causing battery status reporting to not work as expected