This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Installing RK200 Pedals - newbie need some help

I am new to RK200 pedals. I am about to receive pedals tomorrow by the way. I have magnetic indoor spin bike which supports after market pedals.

I went through this article Rally RS/RK/XC - Installing the Pedals (garmin.com)

Any further help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

1. Apply a thin layer of grease on the pedal spindle threads.

Is this mandatory for an indoor spin bike crank? If yes, shall I get something generic bike grease on Amazon or local store?

1. Hand tighten the spindle.
  2. Use the pedal wrench to tighten the spindle.

NOTE: Garmin® recommends torque of 25 lbf-ft. (34 N-m).
    Should I have to get something generic from after market or are there any recommended ones?
  • grease is not required, it just helps to remove it more easier and to avoid stucking together with cranks. but any grease is ok, dont need to buy fancy ones.

You can install it with a simple wrench tool (15mm as i remember), just tighten it very well ("very well" = strongly = ~ 40NM :) ), it is not so sensitive for the torque than the Vector1/2. But avoid to the loosen pedal because that causing underreport in power (so better to overtighten it a bit instead of undertighten.)

• Cool. Thank you so much. I would get standard 15mm wrench then. 

• Yes, grease is required (but just a very thin coating on the threads) to achieve the proper tension in the spindle, and also to prevent galling due to friction between the steel spindle and the aluminum crank threads.

Most commonly available wheel bearing type grease will be fine. A high quality lithium base, extreme pressure type grease is recommended, if you need to buy something.