Two pairs of Garmin Rally XC200 squeaking when pedaling

Hi Guys, I thought I will share and ask if others have similar experience.
I bought Garmin Rally XC200 pedals at the end of May. After about two weeks and over 300 kilometers, I started to hear squeaking when pedaling. It was coming from the right pedal. Interestingly enough, the pedal squeaked only when clipped in on one side but not the other. It didn't seem to affect the power readouts but was really annoying.
I continued to ride with the squeaky pedal for another couple of hundred kilometers. Eventually, I ended up contacting Garmin customer support. They responded really fast and offered to replace my pedals. The whole process was very smooth and I got new pedals within a week of returning the old ones.
Now, I have used the new pedals for almost 500 km. After about 300, the pedals started to squeak. This time, it's both pedals, no matter which side I'm clipped in.
It's also most probably not the issue with shoes or cleats. In the meantime I started using new pair of shoes. A different model from another manufacturer set up with new cleats. The pedals squeak no matter which shoes I use.
I plan to contact Garmin Customer Support again but wanted to share my experience with the community first and also ask if anyone else has similar issues. I'm either terribly unlucky or there is a general issue with the pedals.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago

Still no permanent solution?  My first pair had never squeaked, but I was using old worn out cleats that frankly were no longer safe.  That first pair was replaced due to some other issues, but the replacements have been squeaking like crazy, although I used the supplied cleats this time.  

I plan to contact Garmin to ask for a replacement but am wondering if it really makes a difference on getting infinite replacements, or has more to do with the combo of rider, shoe, cleat, position, etc.    Either way I'd consider it a defect in my opinion, but I just don't want to waste time shipping back and forth if it's a lost cause. As of now, I had to put my non-power meter pedals back on my bikes...I just can't handle listening to that chirp for hours at a time every time I pedal. 

• Ive sent 2 pairs of XC100 rally pedals back to Garmin and am currently riding my third pair. I've put a few hundred kms on them in the last 2 weeks as well as some hard sprints (1600W). After the power finally got broken in and consistent things were good for the first few rides.

Did a 50k tempo ride last night and the chirping returned. Always in the left pedal (the power pedal in the xc100) and not the right with all 3 pairs.

Will be returning these and seeking a refund. I love the idea of power pedals and having power on my rides, but I can't justify the spend of $1600 Canadian on pedals that chirp on every pedal stroke annoying riders in the group!

• I've had my pedals for longer than 30 days (4 months), and have had 3 sets of the pedals in this time all having this issue. Garmin have agreed to refund the pedals as I didn't think it was reasonable to have to continue shipping back the pedals every 3 weeks for the next 2 years (which they also proposed). So long as you're polite and respectful, they may have since changed their tone on giving people a refund on this product.

• The same problem with my RS200. Sent to warranty and Garmin says that they will be replaced (I don't know when) with refurbished ones. So I get a pair of pedals that costs nearly 1000 EUR, they did not work from the beginning+squeaks as a duck, you send them to warranty, and they send you back another. You give brand new, they give you second hand ones. Doohhhh....

• I had this problem and tried every lube and even ruined a pair ps shoes grinding back the sole.   The problem is actually  to do with the cleat and pedal interface both being flat faced. The rub on each other and generate the squeak.  Order a pair of SILVER shimano cleats for your shoes. The have a tapered interface at the front of the cleat and completely eliminate the squeak.  I was ready to sell my pedals until I found this solution. 
    enoy your new quiet pedals 

• I'll check what I have downstairs, might have a set. If not ill buy some to try,

• Interesting I'll have to try those also, my 3rd part of XC200's had been fine but a 4 days cycling in Majorca seem to bring on the squeak (probably about 500miles in them) so annoying 

• Nobody have found the correct fix for this problem ?

I have xc200 since this spring and one side start to squak and I feel time to time some sort of 'clap' in my shoe sole under my feet.

I have SM-SH56 on my shoes, a few years old, I can try to install some new ones. Also maybe that cleat shim if I can find it somewhere.

What about the cleats from garmin ? https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/780023/pn/010-13139-00#overview

For the price of the power meter I find this problem very irritating. After reading this thread I guess asking garmin to change them will do nothing good, problem will come back.

Thanks