Edge touring question sd card

Hi

I saw a helpful reply from bikepc01 to a query about an edge touring. I am still using mine and having similar issues but partially sorted it out by deleting rides stored on the device.  Bikepc01 said there is a file limit of 100 across the memory card and internal storage. Am I  understanding that this is just 100 and not 100 on each?

I had thought I could use a 32gb sd card to help (it came with an  8gb sd card) - a friend was told by garmin back when they still supported this that she should do this.  Any advantages in a bigger sd card if the number of files stays the same?

What I am unclear about, and unable to find information about is putting the maps on a new sd card. It uses open maps not charged for  garmin ones. Can anyone advise please?

Thanks for reading.

Debbie 

• Wrong forum. Edge explore 2 has no SD card slot

• 100 courses is the limit for the device, independent of the storage location.

Map files are .img files (sometimes together with .unl & .gma files) and are stored in the folder ..\Garmin, either on the device, or on the SD card. The device sees both ..\Garmin folders together as one map volume.
    SD card must be of type SDHC and not SDXC, formatted as FAT32 and 32GB maximum size. That large capacity you will seldomly need. In the time I used my Edge Touring I used always the 8 GB SD card it came with, containing the Garmin Cycle Map EU consisting of several separate files.
    Not being a big fan of the Garmin Cycle Map I used the (OSM based) OpenFietsMap Benelux for my cycling activities (https://www.openfietsmap.nl/). More area's / countries in Europe available. If you download for example the OFM benelux you get a .zip archive containing a windows installer for Basecamp (and Mapsource) and a separate gmapsupp.img file containing the map for the device. You just have to copy that file to the folder ..\Garmin, perferably on the SD card. Be careful not to overwrite an already existing gmapsupp.img, so it is wise to rename the OFM file from gmapsupp.img to for example ofmbnlx.img before copying the file to the SD card. Note that only one routing map may be active on the device (settings).
    For convenience I used a separate SD card for my custom (non-Garmin) maps. Copying files to the SD-card is much faster when using the cardreader on the PC or an external cardreader (USB).

PS. If you need more info maybe it's better to send me a PM with your e-mail address in order to communicate outside this forum thread because the Edge Touring is not supported here anymore.

• bikepc01 Thanks very much for this response - very helpful. I would appreciate being able to followup with you, but have no idea how to send a DM on these forums. When I click on your user name it just gives me access denied.