Map update

Map update. There is a 2024.10 map version out, Express failed to update and says everything is fine. It has NOT updated. Anyone else? As soon as I can ditch this glitchy piece of crap I will, no end of system and software problems. Terrible

• I just updated it yesterday, the map is fine. (from Hungary)

• Well done, mine didn’t, has affected others too, it’s not good enough 

• Same problem, there is enough space left but the update gives an error. When checked there  are three mapfiles but only two activated.

• I managed to get it working. Plug it into your pc and sync. There’s a manage map option? Click on that to give the map list. I clicked on EU (that’s the one I wanted). Scroll down to the orange ‘update’ or continue button (I forget which) it then updated. A real pain in the ***! 

• I finally managed it also. What I did was to install each map individualy and then copy it to my pc, install the next one, copy to pc and then mapfile 3 and copied the two on the pc back to the device. I think I will only use Europe West and then copy the countries I need from Open Cycle map or so. Indeed a real pain; I'd rather have saddle-sore :)). Bought it the replace an Edge 830 and my Oregon 700. Not happy with it. The only thing I like so far is the ability to connect it to the Son for power.

• I mainly use it for navigation, the fact that it’s difficult and unreliable to update maps and the numerous other interface issues is the reason I’ll be looking at the Hammerhead Karoo 3 due out in the next couple of weeks. A friend has a 2, the screen, maps, interface, integration with Komoot etc is night and day. Garmin is coasting on its market dominance, its user interface is appaling. 

• I'm not in the market for a high price/high spec device like the hammerheads. I think about going back to the Oregon. Mostly I ride tracks which I make in Basecamp, For the odd navigation situation I use Locus or Bikemap on my smartphone. I would like a device to work flawlessly and not to look for work arounds within a year of purchase. I own several Garmin devices and the Edge 2 is the one I like the least.

• I have literally no issues with map updates but I don't use Garmin provided maps, these from BBBike are much better and updated every week.

• I use these also, put only the countries I need on the device. But apart from that I have payed it to work not not to work-around.

• Exactly, it’s 2024. Devices like this should just work out of the box, we are spoilt by mobile phone tech I get that but like or not there is an expectation now. Garmin have huge market dominance but at some point an upstart company will do it, the map data is (I think) more or less open source now so that intellectual property is no longer secure. Hammerhead is apparently much more ‘mobile’ like but yes expensive for what I want which is really just navigation. My phone is too expensive, fragile and battery thirsty to us gravel biking or I’d use that. The native Komoot app is outstanding on the phone and the route planing in a PC is a breeze.