how do i disable incident detection?

During my ride, a screen constantly appears (in a four hour ride it will appear 30 or 40 times, whenever I stop at a traffic light, whenever I unclip from the bike, etc).

"No message can be sent.

Rider Info.

Try calling for help directly from your phone.

Emergency Contact.

Press and Hold to Exit"

Is this "Incident Detection"?  If it is, it's waaaaaay too sensitive, to the point of being useless and unusable.  How do I disable it?  

• Same problem. Got triggered with even a harder braking... Can't find where to turn it off, I didn't even set up any emergency contacts.

• Open Garmin Connect on your phone, connect to device - Safety & Tracking - Incident Detection - disable for desired profiles.

• Open Garmin Connect on your phone, connect to device - Safety & Tracking - Incident Detection - disable for desired profiles.

• OK, thanks to Jason at Garmin Support, I've found the answer, which I share here so as to help others.  (maybe they're at the side of the road somewhere, googling this on their phone, like I was!)

The problem is that if you haven't set up an emergency contact in Garmin Connect (and then synced that to the Edge device), you CAN'T just "go to Safety and Tracking - Incident Detection - disable for desired profiles".  Whenever you try it just gives you a message "you can't enable incident detection until you set up an emergency contact".... Grrrrr, it's already enabled and I want to disable it!  The problem is that they ship it with it turned on by default for the Road profile, but as shipped there's no way to turn it off.

The workaround: add an emergency contact (even if you don't ever plan to use them).  I actually just simply used myself (my own phone number), that was easiest.  It does have to be a real person because Garmin will ask you the person to confirm they want to be your emergency contact.  Once you do that, when you go to "safety and tracking - incident detection" THEN you will see the toggle switch for each profile (road, off-road, etc), and you can turn it off there.

I found that once I started using the Garmin Extended mount on my new disc brake road bike, Incident Detection was unusable, especially in the wet.  Literally any braking set it off, requiring me to take my glove off to cancel it every time.  In my decades of riding I've never had a crash bad enough that I was a) incapacitated and b) there was nobody around to notice my unresponsive body, so I'll take my chances riding without it.

• the problem is that you can't do that unless you've set up an emergency contact

• turns out the trick is to set up an emergency contact (even if you don't plan to use them).  Then it will let you go to Safety and Tracking - Incident Detection - and toggle Incident Detection off.  It's not great design, hopefully they fix it.

• Good to know! At least there is a way to turn it off. Thanks