This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Controlling odometer values in Edge Explore 2

I have a new Edge Explore 2.

I have several bikes with 1000s of miles in odometer readings on my old Edge 810.

I am setting up Activity profiles for each bike.

I want to set the Odometer reading to something non-zero in the Edge Explore 2. E.g. I want the Road activity profile Odometer to read 16596 (because that is my current total on my road bike) and then to count on from that value.

It seems there is no way to do this within the unit. I edited the Totals.fit file with FitCSVTool.jar, but when I placed the new Totals.fit file in newFiles folder of the Edge Explore 2, and restarted the unit, it just ignored the new file.

(I do not want to use Garmin Connect, or Strava, or anything else to track my miles. I want my head unit to be the single source of truth for my accumulated miles on each bike, like the brilliant but now dead 810 used to.)

How can I set the starting Odometer reading on my new Garmin?

Top Replies

All Replies

• If it helps, the old Totals.fit, the decoded Totals.csv, the edited TotalsNew.csv, and the encoded TotalsNew.fit are attached - all in the zip archive.Total.zip

In addition:

• Here is the output when decoding the fit file

paul@paul-Latitude-E6230:~/Fit/java$ java -jar ./FitCSVTool.jar ~/Documents/Totals.fit

FIT CSV Tool - Protocol 2.0 Profile 21.84 Release
    FIT binary file /home/paul/Documents/Totals.fit decoded to /home/paul/Documents/Totals*.csv files.

paul@paul-Latitude-E6230:~/Fit/java$

• Here is the output when encoding the edit file

paul@paul-Latitude-E6230:~/Fit/java$ java -jar ./FitCSVTool.jar -c ~/Documents/Totals.csv ~/Documents/Totals.fit

FIT CSV Tool - Protocol 2.0 Profile 21.84 Release
    CSVReader.read(): Error on line 2 - Unknown field "unknown" in message "file_id".
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: FIT encoding error.
          at com.garmin.fit.csv.CSVTool.run(CSVTool.java:250)
          at com.garmin.fit.csv.CSVTool.main(CSVTool.java:362)
    paul@paul-Latitude-E6230:~/Fit/java$
    I am not sure if that exception is catastrophic. The offending line is there when decoded, so what's up with FitCSVTool?
  • cc I hope you don't mind me tagging you but you seemed to know what you were doing in a similar thread 2 years ago!

• The TotalsNew.fit file is empty which is why it doesn't work.

What distance would you like? You mentioned 16596 but is that miles or kilometres?

There is no profile called road to add a distance to.  The profiles in the file are called Bahookie, S150, & Stoater.

• The TotalsNew.fit file is empty which is why it doesn't work.

Yes, when I tried to re-decode it, I realised that :-(

What distance would you like? You mentioned 16596 but is that miles or kilometres?

Stoater: 26772146 metres

S150: 870655 metres

Bahookie: 2499311 metres

Thank you for doing this. However, I would like to know how to do it properly, because I often used to update in the 810 (if, for instance, I forgot it on a particular ride)?

• Totals-fixed.zip

Here is a totals fit file with the distances you specified.  Rename it to totals.fit and put it on your Edge unit.

I use Fit File Repair Tool to edit fit files.  You need to pay for it.  I have never had any issues using it and you can edit or just look at all types of fit file.

• Thank you for the edited file. I was able to install it via NewFiles and the totals are as expected. 

I will look into the repair tool.