Edge 840 charging query

Hi, new here!

Firstly, I've seen a few different discussions around this through google searches, but yet to see an answer, so apologies for any duplication here.

I recently upgraded from the Edge 530 to the Edge 840. 

To charge my 530, I'd power all the way down and then plug in. It would bring up the charging screen, but not fully power up. It would stay on this screen and emit a beep once fully charged. I'd then remove power and it would stay in the off state.

If I power my 840, all the way down, and then plug it in, the unit fully powers up, sync's all my sensors, and then continues to charge while powered on. The problem is it then goes to sleep, and I'm not able to see the charge status, or if indeed it's charging, so I can't plug it and leave it, confidently knowing if it will be ready when I need to use it.

Doesn't seem right, so I'm looking to check here what is likely to happen.

Thanks

• When you say your Edge was powered down? Was this you manually selecting Power Off, was the battery drained until it died, or did you by chance select Sleep instead of Power Off? 

Also, can you confirm what kind of power source the other end of your cable is connected to? 

• Thanks for coming back to me. To power the unit off, as per my 530, I hold the top left button until the power symbol appears. I assume pressing power off does the same also?

the usb-c cable is on a plug and into the wall socket. 

• To add a further reply, this morning, using the official cable supplied with the unit, I plugged this directly into the usb-c port on my mac mini. Again the unit powered up rather than go into charge or computer link mode. Once I woke the mac mini from sleep, opened Garmin Express, unplugged and plugged the 840 back in, it went into the expected mode, which currently means I have to leave my computer on to charge the unit, and away from home, I'm going to be stuck. 

• My 840 does the same.

Fully powered off. (hold top left power button, select power off)

When I plug it in to charge, the device fully powers on (GPS/sensor sync etc)

Running latest firmware 24.19

• Yep.  When plugged into my sleeping computer,  the computer USB is unresponsive and the Edge can't tell it's connected to a computer.  If the USB port is supplying power, the Edge will do it's normal charge thing: start charging and boot up.  That's what it does when plugged into a wall wart.  If I want the Edge to talk to my computer, the computer must be awake when the edge is plugged in.  

FWIW:  My notebook computer doesn't supply power to it's USB ports when sleeping, so the Edge doesn't do anything when plugged in when the computer is sleeping.  If the Edge is plugged in when the computer is awake and the computer then goes to sleep, the computer continues to supply power to the USB port the Edge is plugged into and the Edge boots up as if it's connected to a simple charger.

• I guess there's quite a few of us in the same boat. I'm just wondering if it will ever be reverted, or if we're stuck this way now?

• Since I never use the 840's sleep mode, for me it behaves exactly like my old 520+.  With it powered off, I plug it in, and it turns on.  When I manually turn it off again -- instead of letting it sleep -- the screen shows the charge percentage. Same behavior if it's already on when I plug in the charge cable, then manually turn it off.

• , tested the above and this works! That middle section of turning it off a second time is a new step for me, but it did then stay in charge mode, and when unplugged, it stayed powered down. Different experience to my 530, but this works! Thank you.

• Its useless, once you power down after plug in wall outlet to charge,

No1:

The backlight stays on all the way while charging with black screen and the Garmin Logo/ Battery Indicator % below.

The charging is slow and inefficient since the backlight is always on.

No2:

Or the screen is off with white screen. Totally blank. no display or backlight.

We won't know what is the battery %. Have to switch on to know.

It has been like this since launch.

• By George, it looks like you're correct; the backlight stays on indefinitely. I usually charge my 840 in daytime, so I hadn't noticed. This is quite different from my 520 Plus, where the screen stayed on but the backlight was off. This should be reported to Garmin as a bug.