840 Map updates over wifi painfully slow

purchased a new 840 this week.

It has not been smooth sailing.

Map updates kept crashing when connected to PC via USB.

Eventually managed to get maps sync'd using Garmin Express (or so I thought)

Garmin Express shows the device as up to date, though when connected via wifi, map updates are available.

Trying to download them via wifi is taking forever. The device estimates 10+hours for the Europe map (Garmin indicates +-16GB) ?

I seem to get my full line speed when downloading via Garmin Express, though not via wifi on the device.

Seems it's going to take all night to update the map, which seems crazy.

Anyone else experiencing the same ?

• As an experiment, I tried installing the tiny Hong Kong (21 MB) cycle map on my 1040 via WiFi (with 1 Gb/s bandwidth). It took several minutes, with the progress bar seemingly getting stuck around 89%. I can imagine larger several GB maps taking painstakingly long. I don't know if this is a server side or client side issue. Hopefully it's software related and they can fix it in the next update. If not, than it's an emergency functionality only, not useable in real life unless there's really no device available with Garmin Express installed, and you have a whole day available for waiting.

• I think this map updates via wifi is a feature added only for globe-trotting YouTube reviewers like DC Rainmaker. Who else regularly needs to add three different continents to their device but who doesn't have access to a laptop or PC? Also, as they've said, it is very slow so can't be anything but an emergency backup. The devices don't have wifi 7 but instead low power and low bandwidth wifi that will indeed take many hours to download several gigabytes. 

Remember, that after updating you'll generally have to reboot the device before they are recognised as updated.

Also, you don't have to download all of Europe.  It's a big place. You can just select the part of Europe you want. 

If you experience crashes when updating maps on Express, which is still the proper way to do this, try first reinstalling and if that doesn't work deleting and re-adding. Personally, I've found this reliable. 

• I'd definitely prefer to not have to update over wifi that is for sure! Smiley

I had selected only Western and Central Europe via Garmin Express and install the maps (seemingly successfully) via that mechanism.

On the device however it said that the map was not available and needed to be downloaded. Hence it then taking all night to download the full EU map via wifi.

I've subsequently removed Eastern Europe via Garmin Express, however on the device it now says that there is a map update available (presumably it wants to download the whole thing again....).

I'll ignore what the device says and stick to Garmin Express for now, though the experience between on device and Garmin Express is a bit disjointed. 

• I also have a new 840 and per instructions installed Garmin Connect app on my phone. Setting that connection up was fine and my device is connected to my gigabit Wi-Fi.  Through some trial and error also got connected to Trailforks and I'm finding that rides sync over as expected.

Today when booting my device to check it's charge before a ride, I got a notice that map updates were available. For cycling there were only two options (Europe and North America). I chose the option relevant to my continent and now I'm waiting on a painfully slow update which initiated at over 3 hours. 

My biggest problem is not the time as that's an easy fix to plan for in the future. The problem is that the device continually shuts down during the update even while plugged in and charging. Thus I'm left with babysitting to tap the screen every 3 minutes.

I do not recall a need to install Express nor do I have a non-work laptop (my personal device is a Chromebook). Garmin Express is not an option, nor should it be requirement if the recommendation is to use Garmin Connect. 

• This is a frustration for sure.

Set the activity to not auto power off and your screen to auto brightness and plug it in to a power source to keep it charged.

Settings ->Activity Profile -> "Road/Indoor etc" -> Auto Sleep OFF 

Settings -> System -> Display ->Auto Brightness on and Backlight timeout 30s/1min (anything other than "Stays on")

You can then at least leave the device to download without it shutting down or having to babysit it :) 

• I went through this just yesterday with the very long Wi-Fi update of the North American map. It shut off so many times, I had to babysit it also.  Someone in this thread listed options to shut off to help this procedure out and not have to babysit it which would have been helpful to know yesterday. I didn't want to try and cancel the update and try to update it over Garmin Express, when it already deleted the North American map previously. Crazy but it's done now and working. 

• I don't have any Windows PC to my disposal, only Linux, Chromebook, Android and iPad. Garmin Express is only available for Windows. Thus the ability to update the maps directly on the Edge via WiFi, without Garmin Express, would be highly appreciated.

Switching to the Indoor Activity Profile, disabling Auto-Sleep in this Activity Profile and plugging to a charger helped to prevent the pausing of the download due to device sleep, but download is still dead slow.

I initiated the CycleMap Europe download 7 hrs ago and it is still at 46% estimating another 6 hrs to finish.

• When the download got stuck again, I removed and re-added the WiFi network. This triggered a resume of the download.