Anyone else have issues with "out and back" rides or early completion of rides that haven't yet been finished?

If I create an "out and back" course, my 840 will start giving me prompts to make a U-turn when I haven't yet reached my mid-point. When this happens in an area I'm not familiar with, like it did the other day, it becomes a dangerous hazard.

The GPS is accurate, so I know I'm not near my destination (even that map shows I still have more to go), but this has happened on a few courses already, and I'm wondering if this is a bug, or if there's some way to minimize it from happening?

It does also happen on single destination rides, where it will play the music marking the end of the course when I'm close, but really there.

• I haven't run into this on the 840 yet, but it was a common problem on some of the earlier Edge units I had.  It would occur on any course that covered a segment in two directions. Often a course might overlap only at the start and end, and I get a finish alert and it would stop navigating right at the outset.  So, in cases where there was out/back overlap, I resorted to several workarounds; not starting nav until I was past the overlap at the start/finish, creating separate out and back courses, memorizing the course well enough to just ignore Nav prompts, turning off Nav prompts and just following the course on the map....I thought this had been fixed, but evidently it's returned.

• I appreciate the reply. Yeah, I think I'll stick to two separate courses, despite how highly inconvenient that is.

Second question: Can we merge two activities? LOL

• I haven't  merged activities and am pretty sure you can't in GC or STRAVA,  but third party apps can do that as well as other things.  Check https://gotoes.org/strava/

• Cool! I wasn't sure if combining them outside Garmin would affect the health metrics or anything like that. I'll check out those tools.

• Nav and recording are completely independent. That means you can navigate one course outbound, and then another inbound, without interrupting the recording.  This is probably the best way to keep it as one activity.  If done as two activities, each will affect the health metrics.  Merging them would be done outside of GC and independently from GC.  If you deleted the two original activities in GC and then manually added the new merged activity, I have no idea how that would affect the health metrics.

• That means you can navigate one course outbound, and then another inbound, without interrupting the recording.  This is probably the best way to keep it as one activity. 

Of course! This is perhaps the most simple and guaranteed way of doing it properly. Thanks for the reminder.