Fit files not always saved on Garmin Edge 840 SW 20.19

Lately when I save a ride the fit file does not always get saved to the Activities directory on the device, nor does it show up on the "Last Ride" widget and it is not synced to garmin connect. The fit file is correctly recorded however and is available in the TempFIT directory on the device from where I can manually upload it directly to Garmin Connect or other services. So there is no corruption or anything, there is just something in the save process going wrong.

I have tried to cleanup older activities in the Activities directory but that didn't stop this issue from occurring.

I'm confident that I save the ride correctly and I have a feeling it mostly happens to longer rides. It also seems that it started ocurring right after upgrading to SW 20.19. Is anyone else having this issue, or even better, is there a fix for this?

• Ive had it happen 3x - glad to have found this thread as in my case they were all in the TEMP\FIT file folder and I was able to manually upload them.

• Happened to me 2x in the last 3 weeks:
    2024-04-13-09-40-15.fit
    2024-05-04-09-10-57.fit
    The extended Live Track recording was available, but those rides were not in the Edge History, Garmin Connect, Strava, ProBikeGarage.
    I manually copied these files from the TempFIT to the Activities folder and then they were in the Edge History and sync'ed to Garmin Connect, Strava, ProBikeGarage.
    Garmin Edge 840, v20.19

• I am having a similar issue - my ride is recorded and shows up properly on the Edge 840, but does not sync to Garmin Connect. The fit file is available, so I downloaded it via usb and tried to import into Connect - but it says it is a duplicate activity to a ride I did in March (completely different route and time). Strava said the same thing when I tried to manually import there too. Header issue?

I imported successfully into ridewithgps and the data, gps, and time are correct. Not sure why Connect and Strava think it is a duplicate to a ride I did in March.

Garmin Edge 840 SW 20.19

Not exactly the same issue as the OP, but similar, and curious if anyone else has same issue.

• Copying the file from TempFIT to Activities did the job for me. Automatic sync then showed the activity in Garmin (Connect) as well as connected services like Strava.

• Just to get on the band wagon, I am having the same issue. 2 of my last three rides are gone. Couple of my riding buddies have the same edge and aren't having any issues. 

• I had this just today i can see a new record i set but not the ride quite infuriating 

• its so strange just had something very similar i did a ride with a new height record and the record is there on my garmin but the ride is not. i looked at the summary of the ride on the device but somehow its not showing up after turning of without syncing which is another issue of this sw it wont sync right most of the time. after some digging i found the ride in the temp fit folder so i uploaded it to connect but its still not showing up on my 840. it suck that its so buggy with the connect and saving/syncing rides. as a gps it has all the functionality i want, but this is making it hard to like the thing i expect more from such a well established and market leading company.  

• For my specific activity "May 4th", it did save correctly to the "Activity" folder (and my TempFIT folder is empty). After downloading the FIT file from the Activity folder, manual upload fails because Connect flags it as a duplicate to a ride in March (completely different time, route, etc...). But uploading the May 4th FIT file to ridewithgps works, and shows the correct date, route, etc. Very strange. So it's all fine on the Edge 840, but doesn't sync.

I deleted a few of my older activities following this, and my subsequent rides have recorded and sync'd properly - but still slower than previously - they used to sync as soon as I stopped and saved the ride. Now, it takes a reboot or two.

• I have the same situation (SW 20.19). For some time now, the last ride has stopped being shown on the main screen after it ends. There are problems with synchronization with Garmin Connect. I'm starting to miss Wahoo where everything was simple and worked.

• The same problem here, direcly on device it is showing map, but it uploaded only basic data (no map, cadence, speed, etc..) to Garmin Connect and nothing to Strava. Ride file only with 3KB (instead of 250+ on other rides). Nothing in TempFIT (just CptActv.bin.bin file with modify date 5days back). I am totaly pissed and it is getting worse with that cursed 840.. Was just lucky that I am also using apple watch (thank god this never fail). Any way to downgrade firmware ?