Fit files not always saved on Garmin Edge 840 SW 20.19

Lately when I save a ride the fit file does not always get saved to the Activities directory on the device, nor does it show up on the "Last Ride" widget and it is not synced to garmin connect. The fit file is correctly recorded however and is available in the TempFIT directory on the device from where I can manually upload it directly to Garmin Connect or other services. So there is no corruption or anything, there is just something in the save process going wrong.

I have tried to cleanup older activities in the Activities directory but that didn't stop this issue from occurring.

I'm confident that I save the ride correctly and I have a feeling it mostly happens to longer rides. It also seems that it started ocurring right after upgrading to SW 20.19. Is anyone else having this issue, or even better, is there a fix for this?

• Hey hey, I just did a post about something which sounds similar. I just did a 75km ride only to find that the sync kept failing when I saved it. I ended up rebooting my phone and the garmin Edge on 20.19 and when it synced, there was no GPS data. The .fit file was in Garmin\Activities\, however it was only 7kb. I unfortunately wasnt able to retrieve any GPS data. The Edge itself has summary data of the route, but there's nothing in Garmin Connect asides from laps, connect IQ data, heart rate, power, cadence, etc. Nothing GPS wise. 

I checked my Garmin\TempFit folder as well and the only thing in there is a file named: CptActv.bin.bin.

Seems like this 20.19 release is buggy. I'm also having issues with the music widget screen randomly being blank

• I have had the exact same issue occur 3 different times since 20.19 on my 840.  It's definitely a bug.  

• Your problem is exactly the same one I experienced today! Hope this is fixed soon - this is the first time I have experienced a corrupted file / lost ride data. Now I am regretting the change to the 840 from my trusty 830… 

If Garmin doesn’t pull up their socks for simple stuff like this I will switch to Wahoo, now that they have proper ant+ light controls (which was one big draw for me for the Garmin ecosystem)…. 

• Hello, I have the same problem as you, luckily I read you and was able to recover it in the TempFIT folder. It is disappointing to pay for a very expensive device and then have this type of failure.
  • I also am having this issue and my Garmin edge 540 Solar has the 20.19 update. I used it to record a very long ride and saved it at the end only to have it disappear when I went to sync it with Garmin Connect. I went through and looked for it in the TempFIT folder and found a .bin.bin file that is zero bytes. Is there any chance I can retrieve the activity from that .bin.bin file? It was a real shame because it throws off all my other tools I use for training and recording my progress in my athletic goals.

• Did it disappear completely or still uploaded to Garmin Connect without GPS data? In my case it was uploaded to Garmin Connect but without GPS data. All other data still exists though. 

I wish I can go back to 19.22. Actually is downgrading firmware possible? 

• thank you all for your participation in this thread. If you are experiencing this on 20.19, can you please send me a direct message referencing this thread? Thanks!

• Happened to me 3 times on 20.19

It's not systematic though, I had much more rides on 20.19. But it's the first time I had this happen at all.

• The same situation has occurred three times. Twice, unsaved Fit files were found using file recovery software. Attempted to manually upload the recovered files failed.

• For me it didn't upload at all but it also didn't disappear completely, it was still present in the tempFIT folder.