Edge 840 freezes after ejection from Garmin Express

Hey!

After I do anything in Garmin Express with my 840 and once done right-click on it to eject it, the devices freezes in the screen you see below. Only thing that helps is to force a restart.... Latest Garmin Express and Firmware (19.22) on device installed.

I tried a complete reset as well already, but the behavior stays the same. Anyone has the same issue or has an idea what I could try?

Thanks a lot!

• I'm using a M1 Mac with 14.2.1 (Sonoma)

I really hope it can be fixed, its so annoying that such an expensive device cannot be used properly with a mac/pc.

• You may need to try doing a reset. You can backup your settings so that you can restore them

On the Edge go down in to the Garmin folder and select all the folders expect the SQL folder and copy them to your PC.

Don’t copy the files in the Garmin folder otherwise you will be there all-day copying maps.

Follow the guide below to decide which files you need and where to place them on the new unit or the original unit after a reset.

You can either do a reset from an option under the System Menu -> Device reset -> Delete Data and Reset Settings

or

With the unit powered off hold both the lap and start buttons and power the unit on.

On you PC you have the following folders

Folder Name

Contains

Restore contents to this folder on the new unit

Activities

Activities

Activities

Apps

Connect IQ apps

Copy prg files to Apps

Courses

Courses

NewFiles

HMD

Screen layouts for HMD

NewFiles

Locations

Saved locations

NewFiles

Records

Personal records

NewFiles

Segment_List

Leader board selection for segments

NewFiles

Segments

Segments

NewFiles

Settings

User profile and sensor pairings

NewFiles

Sports

Screen layouts

NewFiles

Summary

Activity summary from other devices

NewFiles

Totals

Activity totals

NewFiles

Workouts

Workouts

NewFiles

Multisport (Watches only)

Multisport settings

NewFiles

• Thanks, but I already did tow complete resets. Didn't change anything Disappointed

• I used Garmin Express on PC. Uninstalling the following data fields helped: MY EDGE2, SPH Graph, WindField, OldTimer. I don't know which of the above was causing the problem, but once uninstalled it doesn't freeze the 840 when disconnected from the PC. Software version 19.22

• Do you also have any CIQ apps installed? Is so could you list them and I will see if I can reproduce the issue/

• I installed the 4 CIQ apps mention above and was not able to reproduce the problem. 

MY EDGE2, SPH Graph, WindField, OldTimer

• THis has been happening to me for a while and I was emailing Garmin about it. They never figured out what was going on. They just stopped replying to my emails.

• Hi Guys, it happened to me too, and it disappointed me quite a bit!
    however I can tell you with certainty that the problem that the device freezes depends on a map installation problem. they must be reinstalled. And please do it via a PC with a USB2 port and the original cable.
    I reinstalled the maps, but I read that Garmin suggests removing it first, restarting the device (by disconnecting and reconnecting) and finally reinstalling the map. In this way my device no longer froze, it no longer gave me the "failed to get basemap version" problem and it restored the climbpro function.
    Let me know.

• This isn't a problem with these apps - today it still hangs when disconnected. I will check the method of uninstalling maps.

• You're absolutely right! I uninstalled all the original maps and after many tests it doesn't hang when disconnected from USB! I will check what will happen if I do a clean installation of the map: "Routable Cycle Map of Europe - East"
    Without maps it works perfectly and doesn't hang Slight smile