MTB Trail Navigation - How SHOULD it work?

The Trailforks integration on the Edge 840 was a key feature I was hoping to make use of.  It is not documented very well.  In particular, the 'MTB Trail Navigation' is confusing and I'd like to know how this is supposed to work.  Here is what happens when I select this option...

1.)  Select 'MTB Trail Navigation' from the Navigation widget on the home screen.

2.)  From there I have an option to enter search criteria...

• Trail Network (nearby ones are properly listed)
  • Start Location (can set with a pin)
  • Difficulty
  • Distance

I presume this search criteria is used by the Edge 840 to construct a few different routes in the selected Trail Network.  In my experience, 1-3 routes are generated (but sometimes it locks up during route calculation)  that adhere to the search criteria, although the length of these routes is often significantly shorter or longer than the value I put in the search criteria.

3.)  When I select a route I am immediately placed into a map screen with a 'Ride' button.

4.)  Now, I am often not at the selected Trail Network, so when I hit 'Ride' I get a navigation prompt that tells me to proceed to the selected start point, but there is no route/navigation support to get me to the starting point.  It simply says 'Continue to XYZ' point, the same point I entered in the search criteria.

Q:  Is the lack of routing/navigation to the 'Start Point' the expected behavior?  The routes within the Trail Network work, once I arrive but I was hoping to have route/navigation support to get to the starting point within the Trail Network.
Q:  After the Edge 840 calculates the route (within the Trail Network), I can either select one of the calculated routes but there is also a button that says 'Search for Trails'.  What is the purpose of this button if the system has already calculated route(s) from the search criteria.  Is this to force the route calculation to include the selected trail?

• No one? I see a lot of these posts without answers. Makes me second guess buying one

• Did you ever figure it out? How are you finding navigation a few months in?

• Well - no.  I didn't really figure it out.  My bottom-line assessment is that the system works - sort of. The lack of good documentation for this integration is astonishing.  The developers must have had something in mind when they created this and certainly when Garmin (a major corporation) adopted this functionality.  But still, the intended functionality is really unknown because neither Garmin or Trailforks will step up and tell us how this functionality is supposed to work.  It's a shame.

• Appreciate the reply. This is what I am gathering as well. Based on unanswered posts it seems Garmin is ignoring an entire segment of riders that are looking for answers on the one feature trail riders are most interested in. Anyway thanks for the reply hope it works out for you

• My experience/gripe with Trailforks is they show lots of segments in a system and it's difficult to generate a loop or preferred route. Imagine a trail network of 20+ segments; it's one small section after another with no big picture idea of how they best connect. I end up just using TF on the Edge as a base layer and still have to use my phone for getting an overview of where I'm headed (or pre-make your routes and send to them the Edge). 

Having said that I also tried other manufacturer's devices. For MTB trail navigation, they have even less to show/offer. I've been on plenty of trails where nothing shows up on the unit at all. So,,, as hard as it is to follow on a Garmin device, at least they have the TF map as a base layer. 

• Heck knows how it's supposed to work. Same reason I bought the device. To work around I will browse the map and find the trail I want to do, then click it and navigate to it. Hit the trail, then do the same for the next. If I want to do a route, I'll just have to import the file from the phone pre-planned.

• yeah could be better for sure. One segment at a time might be OK out West where there's longer runs, but where I ride East Coast, you can have 1/4 mile sections and one branch after another. I end up just following forks at random and use the map on the Edge to be sure I'm not doubling back. 

• I did find a trick last night but it takes a lot of time and gives you repetitive strain injury! 

On the Trailforks app on your phone you click ‘send to’ on a trail, then wishlist it will save into courses. Then in the Trailforks app on the garmin you can use my routes to see the individual trails you wishlisted.

…for your case sounds like you’re better off planning a route yourself on Trailforks before you go or browsing others routes to import.  

• You have the answer. I always thought that was how it was supposed to work. 

• This. Unfortunately you still need your phone to look details of TF.  The 840 doesn’t cut it.