Navigation problems: wrong turns, freezes plus weird U-turns

These problems occurs when I am using saved courses:

1. Sometimes the text prompt at the top says turn left in X feet but the map clearly shows either straight ahead or a right turn.

2. The screen is frozen - I didn't notice it had frozen so was about to take the left turn that it indicated (I hadn't noticed that it was left turn in X miles and X hadn't changed for awhile!) Luckily, I was with friends and followed them on a right turn.

3. I get a U-turn in X miles and when I ride the X miles, then I get a U-turn in Y miles.

I just realized that all of these saved courses were created with Ride with GPS - if that is a contributing factor.

Thanks for any insight/help.

• Have you got recalculation turned on?  (Menu>Settings>[your Activity Profile]>Navigation>Routing>Recalculation) If so turn it off as it usually causes problems when following a set course.

• I’m having the same issues. Keeps telling me to make u-turns when navigating a route. Also keeps suggesting turns that aren’t on the route. Just started happening 2 weeks ago despite being on 9.75 for a LONG time. There was a map update recently though. 

• Yes, I do have Routing Recalculation turned off.

• It’s unlikely that RWGPS routes are the problem as they only contain track points and course points and I’ve never had any problem with them. Turn by turn navigation instructions are generated by the Edge based on whichever routable map is enabled. You could turn off TBT nav and just rely on course points only, but that isn't actually fixing the issue.

Perhaps try a map from a different source such as this https://extract.bbbike.org/  (use the Latin1 Garmin versions) and make sure only one overlapping routable map of your region is enabled in your Activity Profile.

• I'm using maps created by others (for cycling events).

If you turn off turn by turn navigation, what do you have, just a map? 

• If you are downloading a TCX or fit file from RWGPS, you should have Course Points embedded in the file which are actually the RWGPS cues. They will pop up if you have Course Point Display turned on in course options (Menu>Nav>Courses>[Load the Course]>Settings). The Distance to Next data field is useful to give a countdown distance to the next upcoming one.

If you are using the basic RWGPS account you won’t be able use the notify turn in advance option so the pop up would not happen until you're right at that point.

If you turn that and TBT off you will only have a line on the map.

• I'm using maps created by others (for cycling events).

If you turn off turn by turn navigation, what do you have, just a map?

I won't waste your time with a long dissertation about route planning but a little knowledge will help and there are many planning courses discussions on the forums. Many of the U-turn and other issues are due to poor route planning technique,  ("by others"), especially planning with the planning site, like RWGPS, "map" zoomed too far out, because it is easier and faster. But it leads to likely mis-selecting track points usually by clicking inside an intersection without realising and continuing to click along the route, this leads to a "turn" into a side street, a short section of route in the side street followed by a U-turn and another "turn" back into the main street.

Best practice is

1. Ensure you are using a OSM map option for planning as the Garmin device "map" is based on OSM and will redraw you route if you are using "turn guidance" and may not respect the original course if the maps vary.
    2. Ensure the zoom level is good enough so you can see the shape of the course and any mis-clicking and any unexpected deviations / detours from your intended course.
    3. Ensure the "routing method" is appropriate, ie cycling, driving or walking as the method will determine what is possible / legal for the planned course.
    4. Ensure the planning software can actually create a connected course without forcing the connections ie via "draw lines" as these WILL cause issues when the Garmin recreates the route upon loading, (if you use Turn Guidance)

Many of us don't use turn guidance as we want to only follow our intended route eg Audax mandatory routes, and this can be done via course points and just following the course line on the map.

Good Luck and safe riding.

• Thanks for the information. It is helpful.

However, I was cycling with others who also had a Garmin 830 with the same gpx map loaded, and they did not get the frozen navigation screen or incorrect turn prompt. So maybe it is also a problem with my unit? (I did get lost last summer with this frozen prompt issue when I was riding alone on a tour in Montana! Guess this means I should stick close to others on these events!)

• So maybe it is also a problem with my unit?

Best to be independent, especially in Montana.

Garmin devices can suffer from a Garmin brain fog, the software can get muddled, various system resources reach "limits", memory locations not correctly initialised or cleaned up. If my 530 started to do odd things, which it might every 6 months or so, I would do a factory reset and this always fixed the "odd" issues. Menu>Settings>System>Device Reset (usually Delete Data and Reset Settings)

You will have to re-enter some info but 5-10 minutes is all it takes.

This support article has backup/restore suggestions for some settings

https://support.garmin.com/en-MY/?faq=eWswdSH4aC3xrXxmQj7U9A

GC Mobile should restore your sensors after you have re-paired to your phone. Wi-Fi config usually has to be done manually and CIQ fields.