Map details disappear 30 seconds after starting navigating a course, or just starting a ride

I live in the USA. I load a course and press ride. The map has all the details, the distance to next turn is correct, etc. After about 30 seconds, all the map details disappear and navigation prompts are no longer updated. The map screen only shows the purple line of the course, with an arrow for your current location. For some reason, all the map details go away, and it gives error "Route Calculation Error. Maps do not have routable roads in this area."  If stop and restart the course, it still doesn't have the detailed map, so fails. If I power cycle the unit, the detailed map will be visible for some short time (30 seconds?) and then goes away again.

Everything is updated to the latest versions, and I'm using a Mac Air to run Garmin Express.

Any ideas on why my map gets corrupted a short period of time after I start riding?  It happens whether I am navigating a course or just riding without navigation.

Thanks!

Don

Here is the screen after the map details disappear. Seconds prior to this, I had a detailed map shown, and the navigation cue had the street name.

• Perhaps reinstalling the maps may solve the problem.

• I did that several times... Problem still exists. There must be some file that is getting corrupted once the unit starts tracking a ride. I am hoping to find that file, delete it, and maybe have the unit generate a new, uncorrupted one?

I hate to do a complete wipe of my Mac and 830, but I am slowly realizing that may be the only solution unless someone with more knowledge of the inner workings of the unit chimes in.

--Don

• What map is installed, is it “enabled”, MENU > Settings > Activity Profiles > (Select Profile) > Navigation > Map > Map Information

Are there other maps installed & enabled, any possibility they cover same area and overlap ?

Does it occur at all zoom levels, zoom in, zoom out

What large .img files are in the 830 /Garmin directory

when you connect device to Mac and run Garmin Express , select manage maps what does it list

ps A factory reset of the 830 requires a little bit of re-setup but only takes 10 minutes, Garmin has a support article about saving some files to makes it a little easier, search for Garmin file backup . A reset does not require anything to be done on Mac, A reset is often the solution (suggested by Garmin support) for many software problems where the software is doing odd things.

support.garmin.com/.../

• Unclear if you are a new 830 user and the map details have always done this or they worked previously but only started disappearing recently, if so did you add / change / update maps or software (what FW Version) or some other change?

• Hi, Rouge,

Thanks for your thoughts! I've had the 830 for 3-4 years and mostly it has worked flawlessly. This is a recent occurrence where it loses the maps after I start riding.

I think you're right, trying to figure out which file is corrupted is going to be difficult. It will probably be 10x faster to just do a factory reset. LOL

--Don

• Hi, Rouge,

I did a factory reset following the instructions in the link you posted. Thank you for that, it was pretty painless!

I will let everyone know tomorrow if this solved the issue with maps. I suspect it will.

--Don

• Hi, everyone, just wanted to close this thread out...

Yes, doing a factory reset fixed it. I did lose the customizations on my various profiles (the fields). So, take a picture of those before you zap it so you can re-make them. You may need to tweak the start/stop parameters as well after the factory reset. Saving the files does a lot, but a few things don't get saved, unfortunately.

Thanks for everyone's help!

--Don

• Thanks for getting back to the thread with the results!  So many people don't come back and follow up and we're left to wonder what happened.  You closing this out may very well help someone else, so Kudos.  Glad it all worked out for you.