Edge 830 not automatically connecting to phone

I recently purchased an edge 830. Have paired with my iPhone but every time I turn my edge 830 on it will not connect with my phone automatically unless I open the Garmin connect app (even then it is hit and miss). It just says ‘searching’.
Under Bluetooth devices on my phone BLE is always connected but not BT and when I try and connect it says “connection unsuccessful” - very rarely does it successfully connect.
Auto upload is on.

I have followed all of Garmins advice multiple times:
-repairing device with phone
-make sure software and app is up to date
-turned off battery saver mode
-remove device from Garmin connect and Bluetooth list and repair it.
-on device forget phone and repair.

It’s basically operates like auto upload is not on (I can assure you it is) but I also don’t get notifications on my device during activity’s (unless I open Garmin app and connect it every time before I take off for a ride). Is significantly inconvenient.

• I have a 1030 and I believe the 830 operates in a similar manner in that the Garmin Connect app must be running for the Edge to connect.

• Thanks for your response.

I believe I have solved it!

On the Edge device go to wifi. Turn off BOTH 'wifi' and 'auto upload'. 
    On the phone, go to Garmin Connect app. Bottom right corner select more > garmin devices > edge 830 (or whatever device you are using) > general > ensure 'auto upload activities' is turned ON there. 

Don't ask me why but it so far has solved it for me. It's like previously it would only upload if Wifi was on and there was a known wifi connection within distance. Even if wifi was turned off, it did not like that 'auto upload' under wifi was turned on.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

•  Auto upload setting on the Edge is for WiFi and has nothing to do with the phone connection. Auto upload setting on Garmin Connect means after your ride, the ride will upload to Garmin Connect through the phone. Garmin Connect does have to be running on the phone for this to happen.