How to follow a track from end to start

I have a Zumo XT that, when I want to follow a course, asks me which I want to follow it: start to end or end to start.

My Edge 830on the other hand only lets me follow a track from start to end, apparently.

Is there a way to do it?

I would have been useful today because I wanted to ride back home along the same way I came from, but I had already stopped and saved the activity I had run on the way there so I couldn't back track that one. I was able to turn the activity into a course but I found no way to follow it in the other way.

Thanks

• Hi, if you're still out somewhere with the course active, go to Home screen > Menu > Navigation > Back to Start > Along Same Route. Alternatively, press the Stop button, then on the menu that pops up, go Navigation > Back to Start > Along Same Route.

If a course isn't active, like here where you've already ended it, just load the course again like you did the first time, start the activity, then do one of the above. It should figure out where you are at that point and send you back to the start from that point.

Sometimes it takes a little bit of moving back along the return course for the direction prompts to settle down (especially if it was an out-and-back course).

I now use this approach instead of out-and-back courses, which sometimes get confused (for example if I backtrack briefly to check something out), or doesn't behave well if I decide to turn back early. I just use one-way courses now, and then the above options when I want to go back to start.

• Hi, thanks for the reply 

You wrote: 

If a course isn't active, like here where you've already ended it, just load the course again like you did the first time, start the activity, then do one of the above.

sorry I don’t understand. On the way out I didn’t follow any course, so I can “load the course again like I did the first time”. 

I did record the activity and saved it as a course. But if I try to follow it, tu Edge will beep incessantly because he thinks I’m riding it the wrong way. And if I ask it to backtrack me back to start, it will route me back to the start of the current activity and not to the start of the course I’m following. 

• A workaround would be to select your course then go to course settings and choose always display. Then you’ll be able to see the course on the map screen and follow it back to the start. Remember it’s just a line on the map so there won’t be any turn guidance or off-course warnings etc.

• I did record the activity and saved it as a course. But if I try to follow it, tu Edge will beep incessantly because he thinks I’m riding it the wrong way. And if I ask it to backtrack me back to start, it will route me back to the start of the current activity and not to the start of the course I’m following. 

Hi, sorry I thought you followed a course on the way out. Anyhow it doesn't matter what the course is or where it comes from. Start the course (in this case the one you created from your outbound ride), then follow the steps I gave:

with the course active, go to Home screen > Menu > Navigation > Back to Start > Along Same Route. Alternatively, press the Stop button, then on the menu that pops up, go Navigation > Back to Start > Along Same Route.
  • Won’t it just leave the course I’m following and try to take me back to where I started the current activity, which is not where I want to go?

• No, because it's a course function, not an activity function. Just try it.

• ...Just thought of another option that you may find easier. In Garmin Connect (web or mobile), edit the course and select the "Reverse Direction" option, then save it. Can save it as a new copy with a different name if you like. Click Send to Device so it's queued up to sync, then sync your Edge to get the new course. Now just load that course and follow it. Since it's already in the reverse direction, you won't need to bother with the on-device Back To Start option (which can be flaky sometimes depending on the situation).

• This will not work if you have an activity already started since the reversed course cannot be sent to device during an activity. Also if the course is planned via other apps (Komoot) it more headache to do the whole process.

I have made the same request to Garmin since 2 years to allow trackback of a course on device (this is a feature that my 7 year old watch Fenix 3 has it).

I will try the previous suggestion (back to start along same route) , hoping it will work as expected.

• This will not work if you have an activity already started since the reversed course cannot be sent to device during an activity.

Yes, but the OP said they already ended the activity, so it works in their case.

• I've tried the suggested approach (start course > then back to start along same route) but it is not working for me. I was a few km into a ride and it tried to route me back on the exact same route I rode (not in the planned course in reverse).