This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

frustrating customer support

I gotta say I am disappointed in Garmin and probably buying a Wahoo. According to my Garmin profile, the 830 I am having trouble with is my fourth Garmin, including a 305, a 500, a 520+ and now the 830. They all had some issues, but this inane customer support takes the cake. Like many I am getting massively innacurate grade and elevation data, making it all but useless. I have done the partial reset that saved  my routes, I have done the full reset that wiped it all clean, I have deleted various folders as described in some forum suggestions, and I have cleaned it under warm water, all to no avail. I still get negative gradients when climbing, elevation changes when stopped (dropped 300 feet below our minimum geographical and geological  elevation during a potty break). When I do an elevation correction on Strava, and these are for routes I've ridden countless times, it's like the Garmin was on another planet recording data on some entirely different event. Yes, it gets distance, speed and similar data right. But I want data on gradient and elevation for training purposes. 

Plus, a luck would have it, my 830 was registered in March of 2022 so is now out of warranty by a few months. Not only does the exchange price of $140 plus tax stink, but they require me to send the unit in before shipping the replacement. Making it worse, in talking with the support person, in essence, he said modern electronics are meant to last only a year or two anyway, so this sort of failure is just the way it goes with modern electronics. Seriously, I should be okay with a $400 item not doing what I bought it for after about 15 months. What kind of BS is that? I guess they think their customers are idiots. Anyway, I'm trying one last cleaning of the port providing access to the barometer, etc and if that doesn't work, it's Wahoo for me. 

• Hi , I'm sorry to hear about this. Do I have your permission to reach out to you directly outside of the forums?

• Due to a poor design, my wife's 810 suffered the power button problem. That's a problem where the external power button falls off the case and now your unit has zero weather protection. I sent Garmin a question about getting it fixed and they said they no longer support that unit; however, they would give me 20% off retail of a current edge device. I checked prices and found that I could do better than 20% off form other vendors. When I brought that to their attention Garmin said that I should just buy one from an outside vendor.

WTF kinda support is that. They have a defective design and they won't cut a deal on a replacement device. Like many others Garmin will not be a top pick when it comes time to replace my device.

• Damn good support given the last 810 was sold somewhere around 4 years ago (that's when the 830 hit the market) and the warranty is only good for a year.

Go to Ebay, get a replacement case and be happy they were willing to give you anything for a long dead product line.

• The 810 was replaced by the 820, which was released in 2014 (9 years ago).

• vendor.

WTF kinda support is that. They have a defective design and they won't cut a deal on a replacement device. Like many others Garmin will not be a top pick when it comes time to replace my device.

The 810 is a 9 year old device. Pretty much no one is going to give you 20% off of a replacement after a few years (let alone 9).

• I want to report back that Garmin reached out to me due to this message (see the query  below) and worked out the problem with me, for which I am grateful. I appreciate the efforts they made to keep me in the Garmin camp. I have no real desire to go with Wahoo after a long time Garmin user and for now I'm back in the happy Garmin camp. Happy riding all!

• You’re lucky. Had my 830 altimeter freak out about 15 months ago after 3 drops of rain fell on it. Reported it and got a rehab replacement free of charge. Assume the replacement would have a fix for the original issue? Wrong. This time 3 drops of sweat (due to stopping because the routing was freaking out). This time they want $140 to send me another defective unit. Not only won’t they fix the issue, but they figured out out to profit off it well into the future. Can you say Wahoo?

• So how did they fix it? My 830 is giving wonky AF elevation data and 2 of my friends say the same thing. We are all approx 2 years into using the 830. Seems like a defect that Garmin should be dealing with. 

• For $140, you send in yours, they send back a replacement. I assume it’s a rehab, but don’t know if they actually have a fix for the issue. Hair dryer and reboot didn’t work for me. Short of sending good money after bad, my solution was to remove grade and the elevation total from my displays. I can discern grade at this point and totals you can adjust in the app. I’ve looked at the Wahoo, but don’t want to give up accident detection quite yet. Definitely, though, never, ever Garmin again.