This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

firmware zip files?

I'd like to use some of the new firmware features, but I don't want to connect my Edge or computer to Garmin Connect.  Where can I find the firmware zip files? 

• Hi Steve, firmware updates are typically sent to your device via Garmin Express or Garmin Connect. To update your Edge, it would need to be connected to either of those platforms.

• Thanks for the reply Amy, but that "typical" is new.  Since these devices came out, they could be updated by just copying the new firmware zip to them.  That's actually the reason I went with Garmin's cycling computers over Wahoo's.  Within the last year even I've been able to at least download the beta version.  I'd love to know why Garmin's made this change of practice.  To me it seems invasive.  I don't want to share my info with Garmin via Express or Connect.  I want to simply download the file.

• These devices have limited memory. IMO it's good practice to remove files that are not needed from the device. At the end of a ride I copy data files to my server for long term storage.

If you remove your data files then what exactly are you sharing with garmin during a device update?

• For the last month there has been a x30 beta, the beta software is available as a zip as is the file to downgrade back to the current production version. They are here

forums.garmin.com/.../xx30-series-new-betas---special-notes-in-post

Change Log

• A fix to address sensor dropout issues experienced by some customers
  • That's wonderful news! Thank you!

• That's a great idea!  How do you know which ones are the data files? Look for time stamps? Back everything up, then  delete basically everything?

• Look for these directories: /GARMIN/Garmin/Activities/ and /GARMIN/Garmin/Courses/

All the files are .fit files

Just copy all of the files from your Activties directory to long term storage on your computer and erase all the files from your Garmin. I only keep courses I'm using on the garmin and erase when done. i can always copy them back if I want to use that course again.