This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incorrect Exercise Load and Training Load

After a relatively long 2:45 threshold ride on my 830 (9.50 SW), the final exercise load on GCM is 19 with a ‘primary benefit’ of Recovery. The ride involved quite a lot of climbing. 

This ride had power (Vector 3) and whilst I forgot to link my Epix 2 for heart rate, this was worn throughout. As such. GCM has some understanding of the effort.   

This is the first ride I’ve completed since updating and, beyond the issue above, I’ve also noticed that in the list of activities, it’s lacking a bike icon. I’m wondering if this is related (I.e the 830 isn’t registering the ride correctly?) (Unsure how to get a screenshot of this)

Any insight or advice would be appreciated! I’m concerned this will throw off my data for a few weeks. 

• Note that I attempted to trim the data to resolve this (by 2 seconds). This changes the exercise load to 20, but doesn’t change anything. 

• Recently I had a similar event.  Harder and longer ride than usual for me but the 830 reported very low exercise load.  I do not have power but looking at the time in heart rate zones i was surprised to see all the time in lower zones even though I had seen my heart rate a number of times close to my (feeble old guy) max of 160.   Looking closer, my max heart rate had been reset to over 200.  I had "auto detect max heart rate" enabled and on the previous ride it had detected a brief period of high HR. 

I was able to export the ride file (.tcx) then delete the ride, then reset max max heart rate and zones.  After reloadng the .tcx file in Garmin Connect the time in heart rate zones is now correct but the app does not go back and recalculate the exercise load or training effect.  (i suspect this is done by the 830 and saved in the .fit file).

This may not be significant in your case since you also have power for the 830 to use but it might be worth checking to see that your max HR is what you expect.