This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 830 wont connect to windows 10

I have a new Garmin Edge 830.

It wont show up as a USB device in windows 10

It isn't detected by Garmin Express

I have tried holding in the lap/reset button then connecting the USB cable to force it into mass storage mode but it doesn't do anything different to just connecting the cable

I have tried three USB cables and three different laptops (Windows 10, Windows 7)

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Top Replies

All Replies

• Please review the steps in this article. There are directions if the computer is not finding the Edge. Be sure to use the supplied Garmin cable that came in the box. Garmin Express Is Not Finding My Garmin Watch or Edge Device

• Garmin-Eiliko wrote: "Be sure to use the supplied Garmin cable that came in the box."

The Garmin cable can be just as defective as any other USB cable. As happened to me some years ago when I bought an Edge 810. Could only connect that 810 via another (non Garmin) cable. Of course you should take care not to use a cable that is only wired for charging a device.

• I have tried three cables. The garmin one and two others from older model phones that i've used to transfer data before. Pretty confident its not the cable

• Hey Garmin-Eiliko. I have tried all the trouble shooting steps and its still not connecting

Windows Troubleshooting

My Computer Does Not Recognize My Garmin Device as an External Drive. 

Step 1: Power the Garmin Device Off and On - Done

Step 2: Power the Computer Off and On - Done

Step 3: Verify That the Garmin Device is in Mass Storage Mode - It wont go into mass storage mode (powered off, holding in lap button and connecting usb cable) - No change, no connection

Step 4: Try a Different USB Port - Tried all ports on 3 different laptops - No connection

Step 5: Check Your Charging Cable and Clean the Contact Points - Tried three cables including the one that came with it

Step 6: Disable USB Selective Suspend - Unchecked this option, restarted laptop - No connection

Step 7: Verify That Garmin Express is Up to Date - Downloaded Garmin express a few days ago so its up to date - No connection

Step 8: Install or Update your USB Drivers - Even though i dont need this step because i have Garmin Express on my laptop i did it anyway - restarted the laptop - No connection

What now?

• You mean "please review the steps in this article".....that i listed in detail below?? Along with the outcomes i got at each step?

And if that didnt work??

• As mentioned below: 

Step 5: Check Your Charging Cable and Clean the Contact Points -

Tried three cables including the one that came with it

• Your local support team will be able to gather further information from you and offer troubleshooting. If a replacement is necessary, they will be able to assist with this as we cannot offer that through the forums. Support link

• I'm a bit annoyed after upgrading to windows 11 and thinking it was a new multiplatform app store ,

I downloaded what I thought was the garmin connect app for windows.

As soon as I load it up ,it's just a bluetooth device connections available screen .

Theres no garmin log in information so I can see my account from the servers.

Microsloth support had the gawl to share a six year old link from garmin about their servers ,shocking.

Anyone any ideas on who to contact.

• Have you tried to update Windows manually and having your edge connected to your laptop at the same time?

If not then connect edge with usb, wait till connection stabilizes (20sec should do), go to Windows settings and check for updates. There might be some optional hardware driver to install that will fix connection problem. I had such a problem with one Garmin device (not edge), it was Windows 10, but who knows, maybe it will work for you too.