This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 830, Varia RTL515 and UT800 issues

I have a Garmin 830 (SW 9.40) and the RTL515 (FW 3.33) and UT800 (FW 2.40). 

I originally paired the RTL515 to the Edge 830, and the RADAR and Light worked OK, though sometimes the RADAR would go out, and reconnect during a ride.

recently, I bought a Varia UT800 headlight, and when I paired it, either the RADAR works or the Lights work, but never both, at least not for long. 

It seems like the light pairing is conflicting with the radar pairing.

I've seen other forum posts where people tried pairing the lights through the add "light" section and then the lights show up, but then the Radar disconnects. 

This is very frustrating.  I have decided to unpair the lights since it keeps bumping the Radar's connection, and that is the most important one.  I really wish the light network would work, bit it is so buggy I gave up.  I've put in about 6 hours of messing with it over many rides, and it just makes me angry.   

Is there a fix, or is this faulty hardware?  

• I called support, and they suggested I do as other people did on the other forums, and remove all paired devices, then re-pair just the RTL515 and UT800.  I tried it and it got it working, but after it went to sleep, it didnt connect on wake up.  I rebooted everything, and it reconnected after that. I'm going to try it on the road and see if it works tomorrow.

• Could be related to the sensor disconnect issues some people are reporting with 9.40

I think my wife has to sometimes turn the radar off/on on her 530 of late.

• What are the small LEDs doing on the side of your RTL515 and UT800 when your Edge is powered off? They'll need to be in smart mode (flashing blue) so that the Edge can reconnect when it powers back on.

Also, what is your Light Beam Activated set to on your Edge?

To check this setting from the home screen select ≡ > Sensors > Lights > Network Options (lights must be connected to see this) > Network Options > Light Beam Activated

• So I experienced a weird thing, when I rebooted my iPhone, there were close to 100 App notifications that came through the Edge 830.  It was like all the notification were queued up and stuck, and needed to be sent to the garmin. I rebooted my iPhone again, and it did it again.

This got me thinking that the notifications were queuing up and causing issues, so  I went into Settings->Connected Features->Phone->Smart Notification and Disabled "Social Media" and "Other" on the Edge 830.

Ever since I did this, I haven't had anymore RADAR and Light Network issues. Maybe one of the the notifications caused some kinda of buffering bug or there was a bad character in the message that caused a bug, and made the 830 unstable.

I also had tried deleting all pairings on the 830 and re-added the RTL515 1st, then the UT800, and then the rest of my pairing. But it was still disconnecting until I disabled the Smart Notifications.

My last ride was perfect, and everything worked well, hope that was it!

-Aaron

•  If you experience this again, let me know the answers to the above questions so I can look into it further for you. Glad to hear it worked on your last ride though!

• Hi Eric, there is sensors conflict between lights: varia vs ut, so to avoid that varia must be installed from sensor menu and edge will pick up radar only. Otherwise …. Impossible to get then both workin correctly (minus $$$ )

• I am getting conflicts with goth the UT800 and Varia RTL510 connecting to my Garmin edge explore 2.  If I only have one device connected everything works fine but the moment I add the second device when I power off my edge computer and back on both lights don’t want to connect.  I have tried everything I know to.  Is there an exact paring method required to get them both to work?  I also have the same issues when adding a Bontrager light as well. 

• I am getting conflicts with goth the UT800 and Varia RTL510 connecting to my Garmin edge explore 2.  If I only have one device connected everything works fine but the moment I add the second device when I power off my edge computer and back on both lights don’t want to connect.  I have tried everything I know to.  Is there an exact paring method required to get them both to work?  I also have the same issues when adding a Bontrager light as well.   I also have the latest firmware updates on the edge computer and both UT800 light and Varia radar light.