This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Feature request enhancement "route recalculation" feature

After my 6 months experience with my Edge 830 I finally could identify and reproduce the recalculate issue which has caused frequent issue.   There seem to be many discussions ongoing on this subject on this Edge 830 forum and no real solution.   I disabled this feature (Profile -> Navigation > Routing > Recalculation = Off ) that is creating more confusion than aid.

Could Garmin to allow this recalculate feature to work as expected, ie to route you to the nearest point on the route. (as one could expect from a GPS device).

Hopefully, Garmin will pick this up in their software enhancement plan of this Edge 830 device.

Thanks !

• Describing the actual situation is different from describing the preferred and possible situation. Not implementing this feature in 'older' units (I will not start the discussion that a multi-hundred $ unit should have a longer lifetcycle, especially when subtracting the beta-testing-years) is more a marketing trick than technology.

• It would be great if Garmin ported the improved re routing to older units but they haven't for whatever reason they decided internally (I would guess marketing reasons).  I suspect they never will do it as well.  It will be an incentive to buy a newer unit in Garmin's view.

• I set it to "prompt". I don't think recalculation is helpful for routes, at least for me. I am usually able to see when I am off course and turn back. Of course this isn't helpful for when there are actual closures and I sometimes I like to use my phone.

I do like to use it when I set a destination and am trusting garmin to route me, in these cases I don't know where I'm going so I just follow the re-route since it'll still get me to the destination.

• That's interesting , i must be late to the party with regards to the re route feature on the 1030 plus, I guess I've had the 830 for nearly 2 years and the biggest improvement for me has been the addition of arrows that actually show route direction. 

In the early days it became very apparent the re route option without arrows was a disaster for a MTB adventure, a 25 mile unknown route that went wrong in an unknown place had me 10 miles in only for me to end up back at the van missing out the fun :-( 

That was over a year ago, since then I have had re route turned off, I also agree its a pain trying to pan out on the 830 to see how to join the original route. 

To be fair I don't tend to deviate from places i know but when needed and you fancy an adventure its hard work, i like the Garmin function of picking you a route after putting in your acceptable distance, i have found some fantastic places that i never would have found without it. 

Is it odd to actually find my Fenix 6 watch easier to navigate with ? 

All that said i am very tempted with the 1040 just because i like wasting money and find new gadgets more exiting than actually riding so at least if its not a major upgrade to my 830 its a bigger screen to see for an old sod. 

The biggest upgrade would be routing that avoided lifting your mtb over styles and other torturous things.

• Today, during our ride, route closed due road works. Fortunately, my maids Hammerhead gps routed us back to the closest point on the route. A pitty my Edga 830 is still not able to do so after recent 9.50 upgrade.