This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bryton S800 launched with very interesting 3.4" screen and 830 price...

Bryton launched S800 device. rumours has it that Garmin is gonna launch something June 1st. I'm holding for it, but if they don't provide a larger screen with similar footprint I am jumping ship. it even has cycling dynamics!!! Only thing is missing is light control, but on paper it seems the best Garmin killer right now. Oh, and 36 hours of battery life??? Wow!

• Looks good doesn't it....for me from what I've seen so far better than the 1030 plus and Karoo 2. I look forward to DC Rainamker's review 

• Me too, although DC rainmaker seems to give low importance to Bryton. For me Karoo 2 is out of the question due to battery life and 1030 was never a possibility, I don’t want a tablet on my bars. Edge 1000 was for me the golden standard for size, if they could make it a 840 with 3.2-3.4” screen and better readability (my 46 yo vision is not what it used to be and messages are very difficult to read on 830) and solve the dreaded sensor connection issues I’m on board! 

• and 1030 was never a possibility, I don’t want a tablet on my bars. Edge 1000 was for me the golden standard for size,

??? Why was the 1030 "never a possibility"?

The 1000 was released in 2014 for $600. The 1030+ is the same price 8 years later (so, it's cheaper in 2014 dollars for a much-better device).

Did/do you own a 1000? If so, then the reason can't really be the price.

1000 size: 58 x 112 x 20

1030+ size: 58 x 114 x 19

The 1030+ is 2 mm longer.

It can't really be the size (the extra 2mm doesn't make the 1030+ a "tablet" over the 1000).

• Your numbers are 100% correct! Maybe at this time I could not even bare the size of the 1000. The 1030 just screams tablet to me. The size of the S800 is a whooping 9mm shorter with a .1” smaller screen. Electronics evolve, so I  expect Garmin to do the same. Moreover the S800 mount is closer to the bottom of the device, further enhancing its appeal, while on Garmin one needs a bigger mount for 1030 compared to 830/530. I believe the S800 can be perfectly used with my current mount, while the 1030 does not. 

• People have different preferences but the 1030+ doesn't seem that big in use (and not really that different from the Bryton).

The Bryton is shorter. But 9mm isn't a lot shorter.

Bryton S800 size: 58 x 105 x 14.2

830 size: 49 x 73 x 21

For people with a strong preference for smaller size, the Bryton doesn't seem likely to be enough different (especially to dump a whole ecosystem).

• I might jump ship just to no longer have the Virtual Partner.

• Don’t get me wrong. I like Garmin analysis and features. I use them daily: cycling dynamics, light network, livetrack, radar, in the zone cIQ. 

The only thing I’m really missing is sensor connection reliability and font size. With 2.6” Garmin could have done a much better job in termos of font scaling, specially on message viewing while riding. When a grouptrack fellow enters the scene I am almost unable to read its name on top of the device. 

So, in my humble opinion, a 3.2 screen with proper font scaling and screen shade visibility would be a major reason for me to switch. To jump ship? Not so much convinced now that I seen some reviews and many rants over Bryton smartphone app. 

However, if Garmin just gives us a refresh on 830 with same form factor I am tempted to pass. I really need a bigger screen on a not so bigger device. As I mentioned I am not a 1030 fan, and the font scaling is still an issue on the 1030 plus too. 

Eagerly eating for the 840!

• I added three Large Font apps to my 830 for HR, Cadence & Power. I really wish the same Dev would create some more.
    They don't help things like pop-up notifications, but at least I can read my main screen data.

Barry

• Good luck if you believe Bryton will be a true competitor to the EDGE with this unit. Their previous 'flagship' GPS was released only four months ago and needed a LOT of work. 

• Bryton requires a link to your phone for navigation. How do you navigate when you don't have phone coverage? I frequently ride in areas without phone coverage. As I told the guys at Bryton - if I wanted to use my phone for navigation I'd save a lot of money by just buying a handlebar phone mount.

I wish they had a device that was competitive, but I won't consider Bryton to be competitive until they have a standalone unit.