This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Max route size

Hello all! 

I designed a route of more than 5000 km in basecamp and uploaded successfully it to my 830.

Is it pratical to use that route while riding? Does the 830 will bug with such a long ride? 

• I'd recommend dividing your route into separate routes for each day's ride. The 830 will probably have difficulty when you want to start a ride in the middle of the route. 

• Why?

It might be too long to calculate.

Keep in mind that these are relatively low powered computers with limited memory.

Since you have the route, why don't you try calculating it?

Be sure to time how long it takes and report the results to the forum.

If it works (and there's a good chance it won't), it could take quite a while (15 minutes or more).

If you have an issue and need to reload the route, do you really want to have to wait for it to calculate the part of the route you have already completed?

• Thanks for your time to both of you. Your replies make a lot of sense. My planned route is a trip across the US, no fixed stop or schedule. I tried to plan a long trip because I saw a lot of long routes on RideWithGps and I wonder how they put those routes on their GPS unit.

I have found a tool online to split the route (JaVaWa RTWtool). I think I will split it in segment of 300 km. I don't want to split on a day by day ride because I don't want to stick to a schedule that will restrict myself. Some days I could be cycling more or less than I planned. I think that splitting in 300km segment will more easier to the 830 (and my nerves  Slight smile. I got an error trying to calculate the route (and it took a lot of time) so I don't want all the expected troubles each morning of my trip).

I guess that I will just have to remember on which segment I am at the time. Will see!  I will do some testing this spring (winter here in Canada) to see how the 830 reacts at a splitted route: how the 830 reacts at the end of a route (do I get notified?) and how to load the next one...

• You don't really know that people used such long RWGPS routes on devices.

The Edges can list the courses in order of distance from your current location to the course start point.

If your planned route is fairly straight, you'll only have a problem picking between two courses.

You don't have to terminate the navigation when you turn off the device or recharge it or reset the recording.

(Note that you won't be able to record this as one big ride.)

============================

The Edges make it easy to stop a course and load another during a ride.

You'll get a "course completed" message. You will also no longer see the "purple" line on the map. Navigation works better if you keep an eye on the map page.

You can stop a course by clicking the red stop sign at the lower left of the map screen.

You load other courses the same way you load the first. If you have a course active currently, the device will ask you if you want to stop it,

• Splitting it is the best solution. And naming the splits AT THE BEGINNING of the name in a fitting order. 
    For example:

A1 „North to south project“

A2 „North to south project“

if there are several pieces near your location, you can distinguish between A2, A5 and A7.