This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 830 starts the timer on its own when viewing indoors

When I am in the house  and turn on my Garmin Edge 830 for whatever reason (say I want to view saved courses or change settings), the timer starts on its own without my pressing any buttons.

I must then stop it, and tell it not to save. As soon as I do that, the darn things starts again within moments. 

Very  aggravating.

This does not seem to occur when I'm outside about to ride.

What gives?

Any Ideas?

I am running the latest software/firmware.

Thanks,

• Ok, so I found an older post where others complained similarly,  The explanation given for the behavior was this:

In the house, where it gets unstable gps readings, the device thinks it is moving and auto starts.

I now realize this issue all started after I enabled auto start/stop so the timer would do so, "once I manually started a ride" This feature was desirable so it would more  accurately track my average speed …..discounting stops at intersections or rest stops.

but, I never intended it to "initially start a ride". I want to do that manually.

Is there no way to do what I want it to do? I have a speed sensor installed on the rear wheel. I’d think the device would be smart enough to know the wheels were not in motion.

arrg!

• Ok, I just got off the phone with Garmin support, who gave me the answer. 

I was confusing two different settings...auto pause and auto start.

under activity profiles, I selected ROAD

under "auto features", I retained "auto pause when stopped" This will pause the timer during a ride, as desired.

under "timer start mode" I switched it from "auto" to "prompted"

Now, once i am on a ride and rolling, it will prompt me to manually start the ride, which is what I wanted.

I would add, support was great. They answered immediately and solved the issue in under 5 minutes.