This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to turn off a loaded course and continue riding without losing ride data?

Not sure if I posed the question correctly but I have had several instances where I started following a planned course and for one reason or another decided to go another direction. The problem is the OFF COURSE notification appears and I cannot get rid of it without ending the ride and saving the data which is only a partial ride as I continue on another route. What I want is to simply turn off the loaded course and continue riding without losing any data. Is this possible? 

• You should be able to just tap the "off course" message to make it go away.

To stop a course, press the red stop sign at the lower left.

• You should be able to just Cancel Course on the map screen, then continue riding as normal.

I'm not sure it's possible to then navigate on a new course without ending the current ride.

• Yes, you can load a course or navigate to a location while recording an activity. 

• You can stop/start navigation at any point during a ride without losing data.

For some of my longer rides I often split the route into multiple files as the Edge devices have a maximum number of turns they can handle. I will load one at the beginning of the ride, then load another once that completes, etc... and I have never lost any ride data.

The only thing you can't do mid-ride is use a Connect IQ app to download a new route (e.g. Strava or RideWithGPS)

• The only thing you can't do mid-ride is use a Connect IQ app to download a new route (e.g. Strava or RideWithGPS)

There's the GRouteLoader widget I wrote that will let you download routes from RWPGPS easily and from Garmin Connect using the route number (in the URL) not quite as easily.

• Just had a case where I needed to change the course mid ride due to a detour.  We had two ride options but I only downloaded the one from RWGPS so I couldn’t download the other.  

I installed your GRouteLoader since and it seems like it would have solved that issue.  Thanks for that. 

• Thanks for all the suggestions. Used them today and everything worked.