This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 830 en Speed Sensor are not correct

I have an Garmin Edge 830 with a Garmin Speed Sensor 2 on my racing bike. The distance however is completly wrong indicated. On a track of 100 km I have a difference of 5 kilometers with the real distance. I installed it manualy and entered the wheelsize. When I change the wheelsize to make it higher it doesn't have any effect. What can be wrong here? Anybody....

• Does the speed itself look wrong? The Garmin sensors are "magnetic" based sensors, and I found that many of my chains had enough magnetism to interfere with the sensor readings, which could also interfere with total distance. Moving to the front wheel eliminated that problem (but looks ugly).

• Thanks for your response. The sensor is on the front wheel of my bike. Could it be disturbed by the sensor of my cateye speed monitor? I have two systems operating.

• I have the same issue and I don't have a speed sensor. Purely off GPS i has an error this morning of 8kms over a 50km ride. 

• Are you riding a windy MTB trail under heavy tree cover at relatively low speed?

That much error should never happen on an open road with good view of the sky. My garmin is accurate enough to pick up making a circle in a two-lane road.

• I don't know how close the magnet (I assume it's a magnet) would have to be. Try removing it.

• I've never had an issue before. It was just two rides. I've since changed the GPS settings to one second instead of smart, added Glonass and did a software update. Looks like it's resolved itself. But yes, totally open in  suburban neighbourhood.