This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Trailforks unlock (yet again)

I have two separate 830 MTB Bundles, one is mine which I've had since it came out and the other is my wife's purchased a week or so ago new.

I've followed every bit of instructions I can find and both of them still give me the "Map cannot be unlocked" (or whatever that actual text is) message when attempting to unlock trail forks. They're paired to different phones, and different trail fork accounts. In both cases they can see courses in trail forks on the device so we know that they're actually talking to trail forks they just don't unlock the maps, so we only have the 2019 map and haven't gotten a new one. 

We have tried deleting trail forks and re-downloading, re-pairing, and re-connecting with connect, nothing seems to solve this problem. I have also tried with the phone on wi-fi, and not, with the garmin on wi-fi and not. I've got a 2 week thread with Garmin (although they've not said anything since this past Monday) on it, and still no resolution. It seems really weird to me that two devices with nothing in common (separate phones, separate garmin connect accounts, separate trail forks accounts) are doing this unless there's just a fundamental bug here.

If anyone has any thoughts that I might not have already tried please let me know.

thank you

• Had a very similar experience and had a breakthrough today!  Installed Garmin Express and it immediately showed an update available for Trailforks base map

• My current 830 (replacement for my original sensor bundle unit, got stuck in a rapid boot loop cycle last week and sent back) is doing the same thing- no way to update the trailforks maps from 2019.10 to the current set as the "maps cannot be unlocked" (but I can sign in and get my routes from Trailforks...). I've got a support ticket open with Garmin, we spent an hour yesterday trying to make it work. My expectations for a successful resolution are about zero at this point.  

The only way I've found to clear the "maps cannot be unlocked" message is to move up to beta OS. Which doesn't get me the newest map set, makes my 830 wildly unstable (winds up in a boot loop when i select a different profile than the one it first loaded) but it does unlock the maps. So success???  On OS 7.10, the unit is stable, I can switch profiles and I can sign in to Trailforks but the major reason to buy it- relatively up to date maps from trailforks, is unavailable. I can view the maps from 2 years ago, which misses a good third on a local system that is expanding.

My current hope is that the 8.0 release will resolve the issue but I'm not that optimistic. 

• First of P.A. Keane thank you! Garmin Express updated the maps, so hopefully they're now working, I didn't yet go back to see if they unlocked on the device but they're there. 

pkcryan if the beta flakey OS works then it would stand to reason they might keep the fix we can hope!

• As of  5am (checked on my way to work), the 8.0 update hadn't gotten to me and I was still stuck on the 2019.10 map set. 

This gives me some hope that when I get home late this afternoon, my 830 will finally update the maps and the os. 

• Try the garmin express app on your PC, it also updated the road biking base maps, apparently none of the map updates come over the phone at all?

• Also note that even though I show the latest map on the device it still says that "Map Unlock Failed" when I try from the device so it's not entirely clear to me that it's allowing me to use that map!

• Got the 8.0 update, trailfoks is now unlocked buuuut I'm still on the 2019.10 map set. Despite deleting the app, deleting the trailfork map set itself (all the files that start with "gmapprom2" ) and reinstalling via the phone app or express.

so a partial win...  

• I'd try the Garmin Express app on your PC/Mac from some other reading I think that it's the only way to update the map data. I'm glad to hear you've unlocked. I'm still in limbo with Support, they've asked me for a third time to provide them with the log data that I've already sent them twice (well now three times) so I feel like they do nothing for a while then pop back up and ask for that as a delay action. Really not satisfied.

• Tried Express on the computer first, got nothing. Wiped the maps and tried again via the phone app. Stil nothing at least its stable when I switch profiles  on 8.0 (someone else had theirs start the boot looping on 8.0 that I saw when I went tried 7.24)

Losing a lot of confidence in Garmin to fix the problems that they've inflicted on the user base in the last week or so. If I could get the trailfork maps with a topo lines on a device from a competitor- I'd be jumping ship now.

• interesting, on both of ours it popped right up and updated on Garmin Express. Also several folks I ride with reported the same.