This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Replacement Edge 830, Trailforks map is two years out of date

My original Edge 830 decided to boot loop after sitting for a month (rehabbing from a knee surgery), contacted Garmin support and got sent a new (?) one. Fired it up, connected it to Express and found that the latest version of Trailforks maps available to me is the 2019.10 set, not the 2021.10. The current OS is 7.10

Touched base with Garmin regarding this issue but they haven't gotten back to me. Its been hard reset twice and had Trailforks deleted a few times to no avail.

Anyone know how to force the issue and get the updated maps or am I stuck waiting for the eventual 2021.2 release sometime this year?

• If the unit is not part of a MTB bundle then GE will only offer you the map update once you have activated the Trailforks map by logging in via the app on the unit.

Have you been able to login to the Trailforks app on the Edge?

• I have, it throws up "map data cannot be unlocked" error 

I can get to my trailforks routes, i just can't unlock the current maps

• Sounds like support will need to make a correction in some backend database. 

• that'll be tomorrows "fun"... 

can't wait.

• For anyone seeing this- the issue is hardware related (per Mattew from Garmin today) and it is being looked into.

• Same boat here.  Replacement 830...  TrailForks map out of date by 2 years, and two TF-related usability issues on v8.10 of software:

First Issue - Launching Trailforks doesn't work

MTB Profile -> IQ -> Trailforks -> odd message "By logging into Trailforks you can access mountain bike trail maps.  Log in?" -> hit checkmark -> "Transferring Credentials" message -> Beep and back at home screen with message "Map is already unlocked"

Second Issue - Try to route w TF Map

MTB Profile -> Navigation -> MTB Trail Navigation -> "Log in to your trailforks account to access mountain bike trail maps" -> hit "login" -> BEEP and bail to homescreen "map is already unlocked"

Have tried a number of workarounds.  One that kind of works is hitting "X" on Login question in first scenario, then can browse around, access courses.

Have seen on this forum that Garmin aware of issue, may be writing fix - frustrating stuff.

• My issues have been resolved enough where I can use my 830 in the woods- the only thing left is the map set on the device still being named "2019.10" and not "2021.10" (verified it is thru several new trails in my area appearing), I can live with this. It's not perfect but it is manageable.

Garmin suggested following the steps in this link, it worked for me but not others. One thing I did start with (and I don't know if it matters or not) is with a factory reset on the unit. I was figuring it was heading back to Kansas for a boot loop issue on anything above OS 7.1 so I reset it and loaded 8.10 onto it (from 6.2). Which miraculously enough was stable and finally updated the maps via Express. It's been several days now without any issues or boot looping, good enough for me.

I would suggest calling Garmin Customer Support and getting their attention directly that the problem is still happening.

• I've the same issue... I tried factory reset and didn't solved issue. 

Do you manage to cope with it?

• Hey - I'm just using TF in the way described, working around the error by clicking the X (no) instead of the checkmark when it asks to login.  From in there, can still find a course from my wishlist as setup in my TF account on the web, and launch it.  Haven't reconnected the Garmin with Garmin Express in a while to fiddle more in a while.

Not sure what other functionality I may be missing by doing it this way.  Perhaps TF ride metrics (if any) aren't syncing - not sure.