This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New firmware version

With the FW 7.1 now two months old, wouldn't it be time for an update?

I admit: quality goes beyond speed, but with this period Garmin development could have solved a lot of issues, where only part of this is mentioned in this forum.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago

Good question. I'm eagerly awaiting the next update and I hope that the navigation issues will be solved.

• It seems like Garmin is holding back firmware releases for all of the (bike GPS) devices.

There was no release in the past two months except for the flagship 1030 PLUS which received a beta version last week: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-1030-plus/261029/new-edge-1030-plus-public-beta-4-18-now-available

Probably a release for the other devices will follow (sometime this year...)

Let's hope Garmin has used this two month pause to fix bugs on the core functionality, rather than introducing new (buggy) features. 

• What navigation issues are you having?

• The 7.10 release was a very technical focused one relating only to certificates so the proper update clock started ticking at 7.00 in mid November 2020, almost 6 months and some of the new features don't seem to work (at least for me!), noting also that the 830/530 were released two years ago (24 April 2019). The 1030+ beta does not seem to address some of the issues that all "X30" models seem to have still. Hopefully soon?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to ronnierbryant

When navigation prompts are shown on the map in some situations the Edge zooms in such a way that the further course is not visible. Attached you find the screenshots of my Edge 830 compared with my Edge 1000 on the same ride.
    After I turned right I passed the next turn (very annoying).

In many cases roundabouts are not shown correctly so it is not possible to see where I have to exit. See also the screenshots I made with Edge 830 and Edge 1000.

When I leave the loaded track and take a deviation for example due to road construction the 830 wants me to turn back. When I ignore those prompts many times they appear again and again.  Even when I’m back on the loaded track the 830 wants me to turn back. When I am back on track it lasts up to 300 to 500 meters until the 830 notices this. If the next turn is in between this distance I would pass it.

• Yes, it would be great if a zoom level could be specified on device. I'm with Former Member, sometimes it's quite difficult to get the correct path on short bends.

• well i found out yesterday that there is a serious issue with how the 830 calculates calories when paired to the new rally power meter. it only calculates calories when there are active watts being produced and completely ignores metabolic calorie burn. so zero calorie burn for hiking sections or downhill sections or any other time when you're not actively spinning the pedals. it was apparently fixed in a recent 1030+ fw, but still an issue on the 830:

** Added support for including metabolic calories in the total calories reported in the calories data field and recorded in the activity file.*

• well i found out yesterday that there is a serious issue with how the 830 calculates calories when paired to the new rally power meter. it only calculates calories when there are active watts being produced and completely ignores metabolic calorie burn

This has been the way calories have been calculated from power meter data since Garmin units could connect to power sensors.  It is nothing new to the new Garmin power meters.  The recent 1030+ beta firmware is the first time this has changed.

• Even still, 1. It's completely wrong and 2. It's now not wrong on the 1030+ and it's not in beta fw it's production

• The changes to the calorie calculation on the 1030+ are currently only available via the manually download public beta software. It is not yet in a production build, but will be when it comes out.