This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heat Acclimation for Indoor Rides

Hey there,

I've just very randomly noticed that my heat acclimation on my edge 830 has been 0% since about last summer. I believe garmin doesn't measure and take it into account for my VO2max estimation since it's still under 21 celcius outside. However, the problem is I do 50% of my rides indoors on my smart trainer and despite the fan and the A/C, the temp. inside is always around 24-26 celcius. Thus, garmin should in fact measure and/or estimate my heat acclimation and give a VO2Max accordingly.

I found it hard to believe that garmin could not think of using the temp. data from the device itself (which would then provide the actual temp. in the room while I'm training indoors) in case of indoor cycling exercises.

Anything I'm missing?

Cheers!

• From my search it seems like it does only use GPS data for this, did you find anything on this issue? 

• The temp data is only the temp of the barometric sensor. It doesn’t reflect the actual room temperature. 

• It uses the humidity data that GCM provides via the weather service. Hence it needs to know your location.

• I found this thread and have been running into a different issue with heat acclimation, but wonder if it may be related. I am using a Garmin 830, and I switch it back and forth between two bikes, only one of which has Rally power meter pedals. When I don't use the power meter feature, I get heat acclimation data (which seems accurate to the extent I understand it). However, when I ride with the power meter, I lose any acclimation data. It also appears to me that the VO2Max calculations do NOT take temperature into account, as my VO2Max is always worse as the heat goes up (even though the ride data seems to reflect accurate temperatures throughout the ride). It is almost as if the power meter is disabling the use of the temperature data for heat acclimation or VO2Max adjustment.

Any thoughts?

• Hey there, not sure if you figured this out yet, but I found with my 1030 and 1030+ that, for indoor rides, IF the Garmin Connect Mobile Weather Widget temp outside is above 24 C AND you turn on GPS for your indoor profile for even a few minutes AND your Edge is connected to your phone w GCM app running, then you will receive heat acclimation credit for that indoor ride.