This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Tempe sensor connectivity for the Edge series

Hi All,

After I purchased an Edge 830 and realized that the Tempe sensor is not supported (weird) I wrote a Tempe datafield and a widget for the Edge series.

Datafield: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/bedd1447-4816-40a9-83e1-0ed22c5bbcc3

Widget: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/22dc8040-24d9-4a31-b8a2-d50cb4892482

Please, let me know if you have any issue with them and enjoy,

• Interesting.  Have you found a discrepancy between the internal temperature sensor and the Tempe?

• Obviously another thing Garmin find uninteressting for cyclists, in addition to intensy minutes. Wonder why, make no sense to me. I have the tempe, but as long as it’s capable of reading decimals, and it’ss not supported in GC i find it not so usefull. But good work, should be interessting as lytleric say to see if there are any big different in the readings.

• This sounds like fun. Almost makes me go buy a Tempe

Silly question though: if the tempe isn't supported, how would we pair it with the Edge so that the app can read the data?

• Thank you for this. I've added both in the download queue and give them a try next time I will ride(hopefully Saturday)

I've also had some in-out email chats with Garmin on the Tempe-Edge topic. It ended up suddenly when they said again that it's not supported. 

I have the Tempe sensor always with me hanged by the Edge's wire, as I use almost every time also the Fenix6 in parallel with the Edge. 

• When I tested it indoor I found that the Edge showed 4-5C more than the Tempe.

If I turn it on after a longer sleep (20-30 minutes minimum) it shows the correct temperature, however it goes up when the screen is active and the CPU is working.

• Tempe and actually the internal temperature sensors of the Marq/Fenix/Forerunner watches are able to provide float numbers just Garmin, for some reason, converts it to integer.

These apps (and my other datafield for the watches) are showing/recording the temperature in float.

• You can connect to the ANT+ sensors in two ways:

- Using the already paired devices for which ConnectIQ provides an easy to use interface. This need to be supported by the Firmware/ConnectIQ.

- Using direct connection to the sensor which is a little bit more difficult.

• I saw that thread, that was the first result when I started to search why I was not able to pair the sensor with my newly purchased Edge Slight smile

I hope it will work fine, let me know if you find anything strange.

• Yes i know, i bought a hiking app in app store, work as a charm in the app. But in GC.............

• using it as a data field works ok, on the couch, with a big difference of aprox 4 degrees compared to the internal temp

but i did not managed to see it in the widget